Bonded Pair

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theevenstarlight

Reaction score
I am confused when websites say, "NEVER separate a bonded pair." I totally understand how they both need to go to the vet at the same time, but isn't it impossible to never separate them?

How do you clip one of the buns nails while you have them both together? I just don't understand how they must ALWAYS be together.

Hi I think what they mean is to not separate them for long periods.

With our bonded pair Wilbur & Jackie we separated them once overnight because one of them was sick and we ended up paying for it, they became unbonded. It took us almost 2 months to get them to become friends again. We had actually made a second huge cage for them and the day we made it was the day they became friends again, so needless to say they have 2 very big cages that they share.

When we trim their nails they are separated for about 10 - 15 minutes and we haven't had any problems yet.

Susan:bunnydance:

Yeah they must mean for long periods of time. My guys play seperately in different parts of the house for entire days at a time, or they spend nights apart and the next morning they are just anxious to find each other to cuddle.

I'm inclined to say it depends on the rabbits.

One of our bonded pairs had to be separated over night for an operation (these are unneutered men, so the most volatile) and they were so delighted to see each other it was great.

We also have a pair on unspayed girls and they have just been put back together after a month apart due to an injury and they went back together sooooooo easily. They had REALLY missed each other. But I know this is pretty unusual and they would normally have to be rebonded.

I would say keep them apart for the smallest amount of time possible. We take ours to the vets together and all sorts, they are just separated if it REALLY has to be done. But just be careful when it comes to trying them together again.

Thanks for all the replies so far!

This has really cleared up some issues I had with the never separating them thing. I have read about bonded pairs that were separated when one became sick and then they ended up fighting when reintroduced. So I won't be doing that!

I am glad that a short amount of time is usually okay :)

Sometimes its necessary to separate them for illness, or whatever, but it is possible to rebond them again afterwards. Sometimes it has to be taken slowly though. A month is a long time for bunnies to be apart and I was so lucky that mine managed to remain bonded in that time.

When they were apart we swapped them between two hutches so they always had the scent of the other, we swapped their toys and bowls about too. And they also got supervised play. But we were incredibly lucky to just effectively put them in a hutch and have them get on like a house on fire.

But yeh, it can be done.

Rebonding bunnies after a spay or neuter can be harderbecause they smell different.

When my Berri was sick, she had to be separated from Pebble and Ebony for a week or more, when she had surgery. She bonded back with the other two without a problem. :)

~~~~~~~~~
~Michaela, Ebony, Pebble, Madison & Angel Bunny Berri~

Basically just try to keep them together as much as possible, however short amounts of time apart are fine. Sometimes it is the owner's choice whether or notto keep bunnies together in certain situations, I am facing one of those situations right now where one bun (Ruby)is ill, however I am still keeping her together with her sister Millie. I guess it's 'owner instinct' but I know that they are far better staying together than being apartas Ruby would just become depressed and become more ill. I have, however, separated them for short amounts of time (such as when Millie had to go to the vets for half a day to get an iv drip) but they were fine being reunited.

It mostly depends on the buns and how strong their bond is, just adjust any situation where they have to be separatedto your bonded pair's individual needs.:)

some rabbits just do terrible away from one another. . . i don't take herman and winnie to the vet together unless i can find someone to go with me (it is simply to hard to handle both of them in the car, since herman rides in my lap as he freaks out in carriers. . .). . . but when herman goes to the vet, and i leave winnie home, she completely destroys anything she can, she paces, and waits. . . if she is out running around and can't find herman she freaks and searches for him every were. . .

Latest posts

Back