Bobby is off his feed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fannymanson

Reaction score
Bobby is a 2 year old Mini Rex. He hasn't been eating for 2 days. Yesterday I noticed that he didnt finish his food from the day before, and today he had not eaten any of his food from yesterday. I cleaned his cage at 7pm and I just checked him at 12am and he has not urinated yet and he has only produced 6-7 peppercorn sized fecal pellets.

Earlier tonight when I cleaned hiscage, I let him loose to run around. He discovered the kitties freshly filled water bowl and drank it down about 1/2 inch. He didn't want to leave the dish and looked a bit woozy after a big drink. He sort of layed down by the dish for a minute. I have never seen him drink from the kitties bowl before. I checked his water bottle and it was full, and working correctly. Since he seemed dehydrated, I added a big crock of water to his cage.

Bobbywas alert and frisky and he still gave chase when I tried to put him back in his cage.He was not interestedin investigating his fooddish as usual, soI reached in and he lowered his head for a pet, but when I tried to rearrange his hay he lunged at me, which is strange for him. As I watched him sit, he appeared to have tiny little shudders go through him and he looked tense.

I let him out again at 12am and he was more frisky than before. He ran and binkied andstole a quick sip of water from the kitties dish. He investigated and glanded my stuff and seemed to have a good expression... but since he still hasn't eaten, urinated, or had a nice BM I am concerned.

He lives in a wire rabbit cagewith a wire mesh floor (until I find something different). He has a drip style water bottle, a salt lick, a pellet feeder (I put the pellets in the bottom and stuff the top with hay) and a small ceramic dish.

Bobby's daily diet is:1/4 cup rabbit pellets, free choice hay, andveggie trimmings when I have them. He recieves one rabbit cookie (equals about1 tablespoon) each day made of crushed pellets, chopped hay, a mashed banana and apple juice.He also has 2 or 3 apple branches in his cage for chew toys. I did just start feeding a new bale of hay and his hay looked untouched, so maybe he's not a fan, but that still doesn't explain why he hasn't touched his pellets or cookie. I checked his teeth and they look fine.

If he's not urinating that's very serious, he's going to need to get to a vet first thing in the morning.

Rabbits don't show their illnesses, so don't be fooled by a seemingly active rabbit. Once the illness progresses to the lethargic stage, they will be critical and hard to save.

He could have a stone in his urinary tract or a bad infection.

I'd also take out the salt lick.

Good luck.

sas :clover:

When I checked Bobby this morning, he had urinated and produced some normal looking fecal pellets so I did not take him to the vet (although I was fully prepeared to).

It appears he made a meal from the bark from his apple branches and his cookie and a small portion of his pellets.

This evening I gave him his regular servings as well as a few carrot peelings, spinach leaves, celery and red cabbage. As I watched, he ate a bit of the carrot and red cabbage and a bite or two from his cookie. I also added 3 more apple twigs and he nibbled those a bit too.

I feel encouraged and hopeful that his appetite is returning.

You don't feed a whole banana do you? :shock:
he could have had gas and you may have wanted to give a dose of simethicone ; you feed a varied diet but itemswith sugar and carbs are not healthy
I would cut back on the treat foods in order to make him hungry enough to eat the hay .

is the hay a grass type hay ?

Also take a look at the new bale to make sure it is fresh and good

I'm glad that he is better :)

It's grass hay and it's nice and fresh, not moldy at all. Six bales of it magically appeared on my lawn thanks to the Boy Scouts Fall Festival. Then I moved it into the Morton building to keep it dry. I havean associate's and abachelor's degree in Equine Science so I have lots of hay experience.

I've never fedthem a whole banana- maybe a small slice every couple of months. I'm more likely togive them things like grapes, rasins, apple slices, or orange bits for fruit. Mainly they just get the hay, pellets, and apple branches for their daily rations. I give veggie trimmings when I have them and fruit about once or twice a week.

I was actually more concerned about the red cabbage. I found it on one website's list of acceptable veggies, and then another website said it may be too gassy.They didn't get a large amount though. They are such little guys that even 2-3 pieces of each veggieis plenty.

I have tried lots of things, but some stuff they absolutely will noteat, like green pepper, pea pods, turnip greens, and cucumber. They do like wheatgrass, red leaf lettuce, romaine, celery, carrots,and parsley. We have a greenhouse business, so it's pretty handy;
http://www.kriegergreenhouses.com/index.html

Bobby seems to be back to normal, his fecal pellet size and quantity have returned to normal and he is interested in eating again. I wonder if he had gas or just didn't care for the new hay.

Tonight I watched with great satisfaction as he ate his hay and red leaf lettuce. I left the crock of water in his cage because I believe he likes it more than his water bottle.

Thank you so much for all the advice and insight. I really appreciate all the help you have give to me and my furry family.

Latest posts

Back