Boarding a rabbit...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buster2369

Reaction score
Hello,

I take one trip a year usually to upstate NY to the Adirondacks. This is the first summer that I have Buster and I really don't know what to do with him. Unfortunately I am staying in a hotel that doesn't allow pets.

All the friends I know don't know anything about rabbit care and I would be nervous leaving him with them. I also can't get a pet sitter since I live with my parents they won't allow me to let a stranger in the house to take care of Buster.

I don't mind paying some money to board him at a local animal hospital.
This is the one I was thinking of:
http://www.southsalemanimalhospital.com/boarding.php

It seems OK. I just want Buster to be able to interact with people or other rabbits. He is very attached to me and gets upset when I leave him for the day. :) It is nice though because I get some bunny kisses when I finally come home. :bunnyheart

I just wanted to know what everyone thinks of boarding a rabbit. Will they get special attention? If they aren't going to interact with him I might as well bring him to a friends house.

Also if anyone reading this lives in the area I would be willing to pay you to take Buster. He is a wonderful rabbit. Doesn't even chew things. I would prefer to give him to someone that has and knows rabbits. :D

Anyway Thanks for any input... and if you have any recommendations for where to put Buster it would be appreciated. :)

-Andria :bunnyheart

There is a lot to consider when looking for someplace to take your rabbit when you have leave.
With the vet, you do have to be concerned with dogs and cats. If your rabbit is not used to dogs or cats, then even the smell can be stressful. You would want to make sure the rabbits are kept separate from the other animals and hopefully the room is not used to dogs or cats. You also want someone who knows rabbits. While a vet is nice if something does happen, a good rabbit owner can be a better option than a vet who doesn't know much about rabbits. Make sure they have a vet and other staff who knows rabbits. I do see that the vet will provide bedding and some toys, but you need to check that what they have is rabbit safe, if they use towels and your rabbit might chew a towel that is not good. You should also bring food, hay and other stuff from home since that is what he is used to, even taking your own litter box can be a good idea. I would suggest going in before booking (call ahead if needed) and check out the place and ask questions. Try to talk to the people who will actually be taking care of Buster.

Another good option is a pet sitter. This can be someone who will take Buster into their home and take care of him while you are gone. You do have to worry about dogs, cats and other pets they might have or take care of. There should be more freedom to take all your own supplies (some might require you to bring the cage and stuff anyway due to what they might have available). It will be a more home environment and should be less stress for him too. While the person will still have their own life to live and won't be home all the time, they should be around a fair bit, especially at night.

The important thing is to find someone you are comfortable with and who is good with rabbits. A vet or boarding facility may be wonderful with dogs, but can be terrible with rabbits since they don't know much about rabbits.

Agree with Kate on checking out the way the Animal hospital boards their bunnies. Ask loads of questions. It might be what you need for Buster and also give you peace of mind while you are away. If not, Kate's suggestion of a pet sitter that would take Buster into their home could be something to look in to.

K

Working at a hospital that has a separate two floor boarding facility i highly recommend seeing if they can board him on the second floor or with the cats. Dogs are always barking at our facility abd its best if your bun could stay away from it. But i agree ask tons of questions about how he will be boarding.

Thanks for the ideas! :D
I like the idea of checking out the animal hospital for myself. I don't want Buster to be more stressed out than necessary. Tomorrow I will go and check to see how it is.

I also like the idea of getting a pet sitter that will take him into their home. Where can I find someone to do that? Is there a good website that helps you find sitters.
I don't know where to start with that?

Karen, Thanks for the links, I'll check those out. :)

Larry, unfortunately this trip is with my parents. :) Every summer I take a trip with my family to Lake Placid. I normally leave Buster with my parents when I go away for a few days. He doesn't mind staying with "grandma and grandpa"...(at least he is in his own environment) I wish I had more rabbit savvy friends that lived near me... :D

I second the pet sitter idea. How long will you be leaving Buster? We go on a lot of shorter trips (less than a week), and when we do that, we hire a pet sitter who comes into our home twice a day. She feeds him, changes his hay, water etc and plays with him/pets him for like an hour each visit. And I always get updates as to how he is doing. It works out well since Spike gets stressed out leaving his own environment. They can also make sure all the temperatures are good and bring in mail, water plants, etc. When we went away longer, we left him at a pet sitter's home. Took him a bit to get used to it, but he didn't seem to mind too much as he was showered daily with love and affection. :)

Latest posts

Back