Blue eyed white babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polly

Reaction score
Daisy my mismark had a litter of 3 1 big one and 2 small ones (not peanuts though)but when they were about a week old they got out of the nest (not to sure what happened Bruce found them) anyway one of teh smaller ones was dead the other 2 were cold but the smaller one was pretty chilled, he brought them in and I warmed them up and put them back in the nest with a heat pad till they got more fluff.

anyway they are now both 2 weeks old but the size difference is huge. The little one is absolutely tiny but is eating and has a tubby tummy do you think it will thrive? to be honest I keep expecting to lose it :(kind of upsetting as its my first bew litter as well

DSC02478.jpg

DSC02474.jpg

I don't know the normal size of Nethie babies so here are my two lines of thought..

• The bigger one is a BUB or BUD (in other words - doesn't have the dwarfing gene) - therefore - the little one looks littler because it does.
  • The little one is a runt...(doesn't look like a peanut). In which case, I'd be prepared to lose it (and take tons of pics now) but also hope it makes it.
Do you remember my litter I had where I had two where every day I was going, "Are they still alive?" and "Will they make it till tomorrow?"

Well - Peanut is still with us...a bit smaller than her littermates - but not much. I wish Taylor was still with us - he did make it to an almost-normal size too before he passed away.

I was thinking runt to be honest Peg the one that died was the same size as this little one! Its certainly feisty as it chases daisy moo round for feeds :p

I agree that the little one is a "runt" rather than homozygous lethal achondroplasia. There have been well over 200 genes discovered that are associated with dwarfism in numerous forms. The little one is either hetero-achondroplasia or has another form of dwarfism, but is most likely not a lethal peanut.

Pam

ok, now that i know you have BEW nethies babies......will you please post lots of pics:D?

*insert begging smiley here....i can't find it:headsmack*

MissBinky wrote:
"homozygous lethal achondroplasia" that is a peanut right?

* Sorry, I realized the answer is in the rest of the paragraph

Yep. Achondroplasia is also the most common form of dwarfism in humans and the homozygous is also lethal in people.

Pam

Well both babies are looking CUUUUTE and I hope that little runt makes it! The little one doesn't have the awkward physical traits associated with peanuts as far as I can tell (but I am neither a breed nor an expert).
:) good luck, little guy!

JadeIcing wrote:
Does anyone recall BlueGiants litter with Lil Bit? He was so much smaller than his siblings but was just fine in the end?

I remember Lil Bit :D

I dreamt about your tiny BEW last night Polly, I hope my dream hasn't come true because it wasn't very good. How is it doing today?

I don't want to give you false hope, but there's Lil Bit, and Timbit, and so many other runties who made it :biggrin2:So I'm rooting for this lil guy too! And then, I'll just pick him up along with Moo and the others on my way to Greece :tongue

Liffey was actually a LOT smaller then his brothers and sisters. they looked like they weren't even from the same litter. he still is small. really small but he's active and healthy. he just got back from his neuter and got a clean bill of health---he even has perfect teeth!! i don't know much about breeding --- only what i read on here so i don't want to give false hope but....but then again if we didn't have hopes in life then it wouldn't be worth living i suppose. even in humans how many times do you read about a pregnancy that the baby was supposed to die or be severly deformed and the baby is healthy. so i guess we just never know. but if your little pixie is acting healthy and running around i think i'd just have warm fuzzy feelings that he'll make it.

purplepeacock wrote:
........but if your little pixie is acting healthy and running around i think i'd just have warm fuzzy feelings that he'll make it.
that would be such a cute name if it was a girl:biggrin2:!

They are both doing well alicia i don't have any more pics yet though. I think the little one has grown a wee bit though every time I go in and its sleeping I panic and give it a poke :pits getting spoiled by the others anyway mum and its brother are very protective over it :D

Polly, you know your organisation last night? It's broken all your picture links. I haven't yet looked at your blog but they may all have gone too :(

Back