Blue buck on black doe, equals black kits carrying blue? + color ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icarus

Reaction score
I have a nice black doe bred to a good blue buck. If I'm correct, then the kits will all be born black, but carry the blue gene?

Neither parent is perfect, but they don't have the same faults. His blaze is too narrow at the base (not freaky narrow, but not wide) with a good length, while's hers is nice and wide but a tad too short, tapers out too quickly. His band is really lovely and clean, while hers could use just a smidgen of improvement. I'm loving their ears, his looked so long when he was a youngster but he's really grown into them.

She's due in about a week :biggrin: I'm pretty excited. I have two of her daughters and their just lovely. Bands could be a bit better at the nape of the neck, but otherwise I really like them. They have awesome personalities to boot, definite keepers.

Annnd...completely unrelated. I got this pretty girl along with the Dutch doe and buck. She's a really rich orange color, a tort perhaps? I just keep her around as a company doe, she's nice and calm. She'll be staying inside with my epileptic girl when the weather gets colder.

Colors a bit washed out, but you can see the grayish color. That one with the Dutch like markings is the epileptic. She's spunky little thing :)
curious3.jpg

Not washed out color
curious1.jpg

More not washed out
curious2.jpg

yes she's a tort, your oddball one.
when it comes to the dutch, it really does depend on what's behind them. I bred my blue doe, amita, to a tort that had black, tort and chocolate behind it and ended up with all blacks, same doe with a chocolate buck, had 2 blues and 6 blacks, to a steel buck Amita had 2 blue-grays, 2 steels and 3 blacks.
I hada black doe-Meggie-Mae, that i bred to one of my original blues that the guy never gave me the ped for and she had 2 black, 2 blue. But I didn't recieve their peds so i don't know what was behind them. I had to rework their pedigrees down 3 Generations.
I found two not so great marked produce better, that's why the trio of torts i have not a single one is showable, but Jules x colby produce some of the nicest kits I've ever had. Rachel will get her turn this fall with Colby.

My best guess is mostly blacks.

Blaze_Amita wrote:
yes she's a tort, your oddball one.
when it comes to the dutch, it really does depend on what's behind them. I bred my blue doe, amita, to a tort that had black, tort and chocolate behind it and ended up with all blacks, same doe with a chocolate buck, had 2 blues and 6 blacks, to a steel buck Amita had 2 blue-grays, 2 steels and 3 blacks.
I hada black doe-Meggie-Mae, that i bred to one of my original blues that the guy never gave me the ped for and she had 2 black, 2 blue. But I didn't recieve their peds so i don't know what was behind them. I had to rework their pedigrees down 3 Generations.
I found two not so great marked produce better, that's why the trio of torts i have not a single one is showable, but Jules x colby produce some of the nicest kits I've ever had. Rachel will get her turn this fall with Colby.

My best guess is mostly blacks.

I was thinking since black is dominate, and blue requires two dilute genes, I would be getting all blacks, or mostly blacks with some 'surprise' colors. But, all blue carriers from the sires side.

I'm pretty stoked about this litter. It'll be the next step towards my goal of 5 generation pedigree'd, registered, and showable rabbits. :biggrin:

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
Black x Blue = 100% Black, unless the black carries dilute. If it does, each kit has about a 50/50 chance either way.

But the kits would carry the dilute, correct? I just want to make sure I market whatever kits I'm not keeping correctly. I don't think the doe carries dilute, but she might. Just a few more days and we'll be able to tell!

mistyjr wrote:
Yup. That's tort!! I love torts! :)

She's quite the little looker :biggrin: I don't really need her...I just like her to much.

Back