Bloodly nose?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul2641

Reaction score
Ok I just went to check on the rabbits and I had planned on grooming them, but I ended up leaving it because I started to panic when I saw

one side of the nose is a little bigger then the other and a little bit pink, and then some blood, I'm just wondering what is the best way too look after a bloody nose?

I read on an article to soak a cloth in hot water and rub it against the cut I did this with little affect. I plan on getting some detol a disinfectant for humans and animals and I'll apply some any other advise?

Any ideas on how it happened?

I'd clean it gently with something sterile...like saline solution or contact rinse.
Use gauze or cottonball.
Then maybe a little anti-bac salve....tri-bac or neosporin.

JimD wrote:
Any ideas on how it happened?

I'd clean it gently with something sterile...like saline solution or contact rinse.
Use gauze or cottonball.
Then maybe a little anti-bac salve....tri-bac or neosporin.
I don't no honestly. My mother is getting some detol it kills 99.99% of germs and is used on cuts. So I'll use hot water and that, I'll do this daily till it cleans up this isn't life threatening is it?

I'm not sure detol is the right thing to use. I would just go with what JimD said. We don't have any of those ointments, but Savlon is safe on bunnies, but only use a tiny smear. Are you sure it's an injury? My main concern would be that it could potentially be an illness of some sort. Any chance you could post a pic? Which bunny is this? I would also be very careful what you put on/over the nose because they are nose breathers and you wouldn't want to suffocate him/her.

Be very careful using the dettol.
Do a bit of research on it, because it looks like it could be harmful if they ingest it or get it in their eyes...both of which are likely to happen if the bun grooms after application.

Edited to add:

It could have harmful effects on mucous membranes.

JimD wrote:
Be very careful using the dettol.
Do a bit of research on it, because it looks like it could be harmful if they ingest it or get it in their eyes...both of which are likely to happen if the bun grooms after application.

Edited to add:

It could have harmful effects on mucous membranes.
Flashy and Jim are right ; I'm not sure what is in detol but most disinfectants cannot be used on rabbits without possible harm ; particularly in such a sensitive area

Flashy wrote:
I'm not sure detol is the right thing to use. I would just go with what JimD said. We don't have any of those ointments, but Savlon is safe on bunnies, but only use a tiny smear. Are you sure it's an injury? My main concern would be that it could potentially be an illness of some sort. Any chance you could post a pic? Which bunny is this? I would also be very careful what you put on/over the nose because they are nose breathers and you wouldn't want to suffocate him/her.
Yeah I asked my mother we have savlon so I will use this on the bunny in need.

Any chance you could get a picture? My concern is this could be the start of Myxi or Rabbit Syphillis (especially as you have been breeding rabbits of unknown origins), although it could obviously just be an injury from something.

Could you describe it a bit more?

Flashy wrote:
Any chance you could get a picture? My concern is this could be the start of Myxi or Rabbit Syphillis (especially as you have been breeding rabbits of unknown origins), although it could obviously just be an injury from something.

Could you describe it a bit more?
The part of the nose were the cut is there is dried blood that's about it.

Cool, so it's just an injury? If that's the cas,e you'll need to keep an eye on it, and also see if you can figure out what happened, but hopefully it will get better quickly.

Flashy wrote:
Cool, so it's just an injury? If that's the cas,e you'll need to keep an eye on it, and also see if you can figure out what happened, but hopefully it will get better quickly.
I really don't know what happened at all. Just waiting for my mother to come home before I treat the rabbit.

this stuff should not be ingested ; I wouldn't use it
http://home.intekom.com/pharm/pharmedica/savlnsol.html#CONTRA-INDICATIONS

Do you have betadine (Povidine iodine)in the UK? It is red and sold at the drugstore. You can dilute this a lot with water and just dab a little with a cottonball on the area that is sore. It is not real iodine which would hurt. beatadine will not sting.

Since Paul said that scabs have already formed and the blood is dried is it advisable to soften it up again using antiseptic liquid? I personally would rarely use anything on wounds unless the are visibly dirty and let the body do the cleaning out. but it's hard to decide not knowing where the wound originated from.

That's interesting to know angieluv. Plenty of people have advised me that they have used it and not had any problems, but I would only ever use the merest smear.

Thanks for the info.

I personally wouldn't want to soften it up but there's always a possibility of the rabbit getting an infection from whatever occurred. Might be a good ideato very gently try to softenit with warm water on cotton balls and then apply an ointment or apply a little diluted betadine . I just don't what's equivalent to neosprin in the UK. ??

if it is pink and slightly swollen could already be slightly infected--not good

Benny once had a bloody nose when he was attacked by a guinea pig. It took weeks for the scars to disappear, which is strange considering how quick the incisions from the spay heal up. It seems the nose tissues are extra sensitive.

The nose/mouth area has a tendency to get infected from injuries (I just drained a pus filled nose tonight).

Rinse with an antiseptic and apply a small amount of antibiotic ointment. (It won't hurt the rabbit if it licks off a tiny amount.)

Pam

pamnock wrote:
The nose/mouth area has a tendency to get infected from injuries (I just drained a pus filled nose tonight).

Rinse with an antiseptic and apply a small amount of antibiotic ointment. (It won't hurt the rabbit if it licks off a tiny amount.)

Pam
Would you recommend any antiseptic? I'm getting the betadine in an hour or so. Mam said if There isn't an improvement in 1 week we will bring the rabbit to the vet. That is the best I can do, Anyone have any other advise.

My advice is to strictly quarantine this bun, just in case.

Latest posts

Back