blood spotting?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deliciosa

Reaction score
Mimi just peed on a towel I put down for her, and it seems like there are drops of blood on the spot that she peed. I pressed tissue down to make sure it wasn't an older stain, and it seems like fresh blood.

I'm incredibly worried, especially because if I need to get her to a vet ASAP I have no idea of who to go to or how much it's going to cost.

Thanks,
Emily

**Mimi is a 5 year old netherland dwarf, most likely unspayed (I had a vet check her who said she couldn't tell if she'd been spayed or not)**

EDIT: it's not very much blood, just a couple specks

I'm going to put a white piece of paper over her litter and see if the blood shows up again. I tried to look at Mimi for any signs of wounds but she fidgets so much and gets SO upset when I pick her up, I couldn't really check her properly.

Deliciosa wrote:
I'm going to put a white piece of paper over her litter and see if the blood shows up again. I tried to look at Mimi for any signs of wounds but she fidgets so much and gets SO upset when I pick her up, I couldn't really check her properly.
sometimes it has to do with diet,-ie-carrots-will give an alarming result,-just keep up the diet of hay,water,pellets-and keep a watchful eye on a clean poop box-we all hope there is nothing serious,--sincerely james waller:pray::innocent

I would have her to the vet, personally. If all of it is just a darker color, it likely comes from something they've eaten. If its spotting though, it could be more than that. I'd have the vet check her.
Also, yes that's a good idea to check for more. If you'd like maybe just wait a bit and see if it continues. If it only happens that one time I wouldn't worry.

By the way, Mimi is very cute (your profile pic ) :)

EDIT: Also, is she straining to urinate?

It it were fresh blood, it'd be easy to tell from an old stain. It could be an anal tear, which you wouldn't be able to see without a scope.

Regardless of what it is or isn't, you really should figure out where to take Mini when you sooner or later need to see a vet.

Bunnylova4eva wrote:
I would have her to the vet, personally. If all of it is just a darker color, it likely comes from something they've eaten. If its spotting though, it could be more than that. I'd have the vet check her.
Also, yes that's a good idea to check for more. If you'd like maybe just wait a bit and see if it continues. If it only happens that one time I wouldn't worry.

By the way, Mimi is very cute (your profile pic ) :)

EDIT: Also, is she straining to urinate?
so I've checked a couple of her pees and there doesn't seem to be any more spotting. she isn't straining to urinate, behaving quite normally... I wonder what that spotting was :confused2:

PS: Thank you! I'll tell her you said so :biggrin2:

Did you see spots of blood inside normal pee spots? More like blood clots than a dark orange/red urine? It would be worth it to take her to the vet and have them shave her belly to check for a spay scar, in my opinion. There are so many things that can go wrong with a uterus in an older bunny--infections, cancer, etc--and when they go wrong, they can be quite serious. This is the perfect reason to get out the clippers and find out for sure if she's been spayed or not. I'd also want to rule out a urinary tract infection.

Back