Blood on the face? :/

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ecresi

Reaction score
After re-filling Kota's water bottle, I looked over and saw that one of her kit's faces was covered in blood. (I only noticed because she's white.) I quickly pulled her out of the cage and began cleaning her face off and checking for cuts. I didn't see any cuts or anyplace the blood could be coming from. I checked her nails and feet, nothing. I did so with the rest of the babies. The babies had a bit on their faces, nothing major, I figured they were nuzzling or cleaning eachother and they go the blood from the white one. I whiped their faces and put them back. Then I checked over the mother. I didn't see anything, except a little by her face, so I whiped her face and she went for the bowl of water on the bed she started to drink and the water began turning red, I pulled the bowl away and checked her over again I still can't find a reason for the bleeding. we thought maybe she cut her mouth but from what we can see there's no blood. we cleaned her up again and set her down and she began cleaning herself and but there's more blood and it seems like it's fresh. we checked her nails and there's nothing. Where could this be coming from? we're completely snowed in, there's no way we're getting out to a vet today :/

Rabbit mouths are pretty hard to inspect without the proper tools, and I have to assume that if drinking and grooming is spreading the blood around, the mouth would have to be the source. Mouth wounds tend to bleed a lot, soit might be a very small cut causing all of that bleeding.She could have an issue with a molar that is growing irregularly and cutting the mouth, she may have injured her tongue, a nip on the inside of her lip from another bun, etc. Is she acting like her mouth is sensitive? Perhaps isolate her to see if she's eating normally.

I checked her out again and she's not acting as if her mouth is really sensitive, like if a molar was growing in she doesn't pull away. I'm thinking it may be one of her nails. I got a better look at it with some help and the one nail is a lot shorter than what it was and if she was grooming that might be the case for the spread of blood.

That could be it, but be careful. It's possible for them to chip a tooth, particularly the front ones if they're maloccluded, so that may be the cause. How old are the babies? It could be that she was cleaning them up or eating the afterbirth (sorry, gross but true), and that's where the blood came from too, if they're very young babies.

They're just turning 10 weeks. waiting for their new owners to set up appointments to come and get them. She seems okay now, I haven't seen any more blood, on her or the babies so I think it's okay now. I'll check her again in a few hours, and once again in the morning to be sure though.

In my experience, it's almost always a nail. They're harder to spot than one would think. Do a toe-by-toe on everybunny.

If there's blood from a nick in the cheek or elsewhere in the mouth, it may be hard to spot intially, but a few minutes without grooming or drinking should tell the tale -- if you can get her mouth open.

sas :bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back