Blog for the Bun-Buns!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here's the link:

http://www.linedgroundsquirrels.com/TapewormParasite.html

It was living in Karla for several months, and not pretty. Too many things go through our grass and I would rather not pluck mites, fleas, ticks off of our loved ones. Raccoons included visit the yard.
Yah, not pleasant to much grass and pick-up a blood-sucking slimy parasite.

Disabled Tamm and our house crew selectively don't eat the grasshoppers that come squashed in the hay. Why is that?! Good noses?!
I sure ain't gonna offer them grasses from the yard after seeing the gluey worm.

Raccoon skat can have roundworm; not safe for animals or humans! Just google.com on roundworm in humans. Cautiously because the graphic images are ....

Kelly, head strokes to your TobyPrince and Will's SammiDoll. Sorry to hijack for a moment. This station is back to Blog for the Bun-Buns.
Kelly, would you like some grass (or ground) from here?

Thanks for the link, TF! :) No problem on the "hijack". I was hoping you'd post the link or at least some info on it! Thanks! :D My bunnies always love grass. Right now, they're face-deep in some stuff that I took from my parents' subdivision. They haven't sprayed the grass in years. :)

Here is a link for the Havahart Trap. Just look at the picture, and you can figure out how it works. It doesn't hurt them or anything. It's just to trap them so you can relocate them. :)

kherrmann3 wrote:
Thanks for the link, TF! :) No problem on the "hijack". I was hoping you'd post the link or at least some info on it! Thanks! :D My bunnies always love grass. Right now, they're face-deep in some stuff that I took from my parents' subdivision. They haven't sprayed the grass in years. :)

Here is a link for the Havahart Trap. Just look at the picture, and you can figure out how it works. It doesn't hurt them or anything. It's just to trap them so you can relocate them. :)

That tapeworm link just gave me major creeps (but, I am glad it came out of the bun). I hope I don't have nightmares tonight. I have a fear of bees and other things which either have no legs ormore than 4 legs. It's crazy. :twitch:I got stung in the neck by a bee when I was in 3rd grade... I just bolt from insects and other creepy stuff!

The trap looks pretty handy. Do people usually have one in case of these types of raccoon situations?

I live in NYC so the only unwanted animal near human spaces is a rat sometimes... :biggrin2:

kirbyultra wrote:
The trap looks pretty handy. Do people usually have one in case of these types of raccoon situations?
They are multi-purpose traps. They can catch all sorts of critters. Animal rescue efforts use them to catch stray animals. Cities use them to remove feral animal populations (such as cats). Some cities trap the feral cats, spay/neuter them, then release them again. It keeps the population in check.

To answer your question, some people do have them around all the time. They are relatively inexpensive, and are easy to use. The only things you need are the trap, a small dish or paper plate to put the bait on, and some bait. We used Fancy Feast's Chicken Florentine. lol

I borrowed the trap that I used from TreasuredFriend (same person who had the bunny with the tape worm). She had it around for raccoons, I think. We were trying to catch feral cats, though. We caught opossums, raccoons, our neighbor's cat, a squirrel, a chipmunk, and finally a feral cat. We took it to the shelter, but I think they euthanized it (it was REALLY mean).

We didn't have any feral kitties around this year, so I haven't had to utilize the trap again. We were trying to catch that stupid feral cat that was eating my chipmunks and trying to get at my songbirds. She (it was a calico, thus a female) also was scaring Toby when she would stalk past our windows. Toby liked to sit by the windows, and I saw her jump up and smack into our window screen to get to him. Our windows are about 3+ feet off of the ground (as is our apartment), so it wasn't just an accident...

We actually caught the raccoon with probable distemper by accident. We caught this raccoon once, and it was OK. The second time we caught him, he had a wound on his side. The third time, the wound was full of pus and he was snarling more than he used to. By the fourth time we caught him, the wound was dry and crusty, but he would roar and charge you from inside the cage. He was snarling and lunging and biting onto the wire of the trap. We called the Humane Society (took them over an hour to get here, even though they are right down the street). They took him, and euthanized him. It took three tranquilizer darts to get him out of the trap. I am glad he is gone. He was a mean bugger (he had previously chased me away from our garbage dumpster.

I live in NYC so the only unwanted animal near human spaces is a rat sometimes...
They have smaller-sized Havahart traps available. They come in 5 sizes and various designs. The x-small is for mice, chipmunks, voles, and rats. The small is for rats, squirrels, rabbits, and skunks. The medium is for skunks, squirrels, and rabbits. The large is for raccoons, skunks, muskrats, groundhogs, cats, and opossums. The x-large is for raccoons, dogs, opossums, groundhogs, and armadillos. They make a trap for every "pest" or stray critter.

Wow, that reply turned into a small novel. Sorry, guys! :p

Bunny update! :p

I have been letting Toby have run of the apartment this morning. I locked him out of the bedroom, though, so he doesn't mark up the place! I put his litter box with some hay at the end of the hallway, along with a water dish. It holds him over quite nicely. He had a twenty-or-so-minutes zoomy session with binkies and bunny 500s galore. I love knowing that I have a happy rabbit. :)

Kelly, you got Toby from myheart? :)

It's so nice to hear your bun runs the place with ease. I had such a bad time with Toby that I don't think I'll soon let him out in the living room again :( Do you have vids of his 500s? :)

Thanks for explaining the trap thing by the way! Wow I guess it's a fairly common thing for managing critters!

kirbyultra wrote:
Do you have vids of his 500s? :)
Unfortunately, I never seem to catch him in the act. I can watch him out of the corner of my eye all I want, but as soon as I turn my head to watch, he'll stop. Also, he doesn't do them as much if the light is on. To make things even worse, he knows when my camera is recording, because of the little focus light. He's just a smart bun! I'll have to try to catch him in action!

kherrmann3 wrote:
kirbyultra wrote:
Unfortunately, I never seem to catch him in the act. I can watch him out of the corner of my eye all I want, but as soon as I turn my head to watch, he'll stop. Also, he doesn't do them as much if the light is on. To make things even worse, he knows when my camera is recording, because of the little focus light. He's just a smart bun! I'll have to try to catch him in action!
Aww, sounds like Toby is shy about us seeing him run around like a mad bun. Perhaps he feels he'll lose his credibility as a 'posing model' ;)

Jan

kherrmann3 wrote:
kirbyultra wrote:
I think bunners just "know" they're being watched by a "stranger". I have my camera on and ready (just with view screen off) so that they don't see the focus light and my camera doesn't have a recording blinker light.When they start running around and binkying I slowly take out the camera but they will prompty stop their cuteness. ;)

When I let Toby have free-run of the bedroom, I would just set the camera up on my nightstand and capture his antics. I would lay on the bed and cruise the internet and such. He wouldn't realize anything was odd until I would grab the camera after the fact. He can't run around the bedroom anymore because he poops so much. :(

It must be a sense they have, I will see my buns doing something cute in the bunny room and go to get my phone to take a picture and when I come back POOF they've moved on to something else.

Here's a funny story from last night.

My roommate (Sean), his boyfriend (Max), and I were going to play a game called Munchkin. Munchkin is a funny version of Dungeons and Dragons (D&D). I had been picking the games all week (Euchre, Scrabble, Rummy Royal, etc), so it was their turn. They had just bought Munchkin earlier, so they were super excited to play it. I, on the other hand, never played D&D, nor did I want to, so this game was kind of frustrating. I just wanted to add that so I could hang on to the last scrap of dignity that I have left. lol

Munchkin is pretty funny. They made it to be corny and silly, and that is exactly what it was. For example, one of the monster cards that Sean drew was the "level 9 - Gazebo". Yes, a gazebo. The card specifically said that you could not ask other players for help, and that you had to "face the Gazebo alone". lol One of my cards was for a pair of "Boots That Make You Run Away Really, Really Fast".

About 40 minutes into the game, Sammi came bursting out of the bedroom (she was out for her run time). She came out like a bat out of hell! It was LOUD! Then, she stopped at the end of the hallway, where it opens up into the dining room/sitting room, and we were playing Munchkin on the dining room table. She stared at me, specifically, then thumped and ran back into the bedroom. I followed her, thinking Toby got out, or something was amiss, but she was sitting by her food bowl. She thumped again when I turned on the light in the bedroom and saw her there. The silly bunny wanted her nighttime salad! It was my reminder! It was 9:30pm, half an hour late for their dinners! Needless to say, I was tired and we ended our Munchkin game so I could feed them and go to bed.

What was I saying about that last scrap of dignity?

ETA: Here are some of the images from the Munchkin cards that made me giggle. For being a nerd game, it was funny (still don't 100% understand how to play, though).

Gazebo:
gazebo2.gif

Just an assortment of the cards. Note the "Level 1 - Potted Plant" on the right? lol
munchkin_cards-500x500.jpg

moz-screenshot.jpg

I couldn't edit my last post, grr. I just wanted to add one more card that made me laugh. It's in the bottom row of the cards I posted before, but part of it is cut off. It's the second card (from the left) in. It's the "Duck of Doom" and is a Curse! card:

duck-icon.gif

Latest posts

Back