Bloat

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redthunderrabbits

Reaction score
I have run out of places to turn about this topic. I have been very upset by bloat in my barn. My bunnies started to blow up like a balloon, loose appetite and stop drinking, at first I used baby gas drops and they worked. Then the bloat seemed to spread. I know that sounds crazy but I took 3 to the vet even my vet was confused and suggested euthenizing one I brought in. At this point I don't know what to do or what is causing it and I am so sad over the losses that have occured. :( if anyone could give me any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Have there been any changes in their diets? Changed feed, different hay, different veggies? Any changes in their lives or routine that might be causing added stress?

I can't help 'cause I know nothing about bloat... just wanted to say that I hope you're able to find a way to get your poor bunns healthy and happy again! :pray:

No, nothing that would affect the ones it has. I don't give veggies since they go out in their play yard and I try to keep feed, water, hay with them at all times.

First, if you haven't yet, quarantine any rabbits that are showing symptoms. After that, it would be best to bleach EVERYTHING- cages, bottles, crocks, toys, etc.

If it is spreading, it's likely a parasite or bacteria of some sort and will really just have to run its course since you can't pinpoint what it is. But by quarantining at the immediate sign of symptoms and sanitizing all your supplies daily (if possible), it should end soon on its own.

You could ask your vet about worming your rabbits. If they have a parasite maybe that would help.

Have your feed and hay tested for mycotoxins (poisons from mold). If you can, set your current food aside and get new stuff until you get results back. Mycotoxins don't necessarily come from currently moldy food, it could be that the ingredients were moldy prior to being processed.

I really hope you don't loose any more bunnies. Hopefully you'll be able to stop more from getting sick by quarantining them and replacing their food. That should cover all the bases.

:pray:

Latest posts

Back