Blind & Deaf rabbit being territorial

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lunlow

Lunlow
Reaction score
Hey! I have a partially blind and partially deaf rabbit called Luna (this is due to her colouring) and she is being slightly territorial towards her bondmate, named Willow. They are both female and have been bonded for 2 years, both spayed and healthy. Willow isn't deaf and/or blind due to being a different breed.

They live in a shed that contains their hutch, which is situated on the back wall of the shed. They eat and sleep together, frequently groom and lie together. They are very bonded and Luna often follows and shadows Willow due to being very skittish and scared. She is comfortable in my presence but often gets scared and runs when normal sounds occur that don't even phase Willow.

Recently, the rabbits have moved to a different shed due to their old one being moved (we are having an extension built) and everything seems fine, except for one corner of the shed, where Luna often sits due to it being dark and cosy. The hutch position means that they can run around the back from one side and then be sat in the corner of the hutch.

They often do this but when Willow goes in this corner, the blind/deaf rabbit chases her out, often pulling out fur. It doesn't seem to phase Willow as it doesn't actually injure her, but in a recent incident, there is fur missing from her face. However, she still repeatedly goes in this corner, not heeding Luna's warnings.

Should I just move the hutch and chop the legs off so they cannot run under the hutch and the area has been eliminated? I feel bad for doing it because Luna feels comfortable in this corner and it isn't actually causing any breaks in their bond. I would also not like to separate them as Luna is somewhat dependand on Willow and they are otherwise completely fine and love each other. What do I do?

Sorry this thread is extremely long and is difficult to imagine. It is basically a small corner of the shed that only Luna is allowed in, by her own volition.

You could leave as is as long as it remains only minor scuffles, if you want. But sometimes for some rabbits, it's not good to give them a spot where they are too inclined to hide and isolate themselves, as it can make them even more skittish, if that makes sense. For these rabbits actually forcing them to come out by not providing an isolated hiding spot, helps them adjust and get used to their new surroundings as they realize they are actually just fine and safe. So your suggestion may work out better, or you could just use something to block off that one area. Then maybe she'll be more inclined to turn to Willow for comfort instead of hiding.

Back