Bleeding after Brushing???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ams1786

Reaction score
Ahh I feel so terrible! My bun is going through a MASSIVE molt that just hit full force today - as in I reach to pick her up and come away with handfuls of hair. I was brushing her today while holding her and suddenly she started grinding her teeth loudly, which I've never heard her do before - I stopped and let her down. A few minutes later I checked on her and noticed she has a new bald spot on her back and it's bleeding a little bit! It doesn't look like a sore or anything - it looks exactly like if I'd skinned myself and doesn't seem to be actively bleeding. I use a lava brush on her since she's a rex and has thin fur and I wanted to be careful, but it looked like I over brushed and accidentally hurt her! I'm like distraught right now and while she seems fine I just feel so so awful. Is that possible? I've heard of brushing accidents before - I didn't even notice all her hair was gone in that spot when I was doing it. Is there anything I can do? Can it lead to problems? She seems fine otherwise and has no signs of mites and every sign of molting so I don't think it's another problem. Ah, I feel like the worst person ever!!!

Don't feel like that! Bunnies have really sensitive skin, and if they're having a heavy shed then it makes sense to brush harder than usual. The reason for the bald spot may not be all your fault, she might be pulling hair as well as you brushing her.

I have plucked Muffin to this point before. It can happen, don't worry. I don't think I would use the lava brush, though. Rabbit skin is pretty thin compared to some other animals, and the lava brush looks like it would just polish the hairs instead of removing them. I really like the Zoom Groom and rubber brushes (gently), or just a bowl of water and a towel. You get your hands wet, run them through the rabbit's fur, wipe off all the hair that sticks to your hands on the towel, and repeat. For now, you can put some triple antibiotic ointment on the spot to keep it free of infection while it heals, unless that will break up a scab. You don't want it to start bleeding again.

Latest posts

Back