Blast from the past

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pamnock

Reaction score
An elderly man who grew up in our house stoppedby the other day. He shared some fascinating history of thearea and our homeincluding the fact that his family hadraised Flemish Giants.

They were raised for meat for the family and he said they eventuallygot sick of eating rabbit all the time, so set therabbitsfree in the area.

Local hunters were shocked at the size of the "mutant" rabbit population in Jamestown ;)

Pam

Wow I am sure you would have had an interesting conversation with him!

Amazing huh, they had rabbits and so do you!

Would of been a great time for you hearing all about who lived where and what they did etc :)

how long ago did he live there? lol that is soo cool! lol i wish someone who onced lived in my house stopped by, lol

pamnock wrote:
Nope -- all the Flemish are long gone.

?

Pam

Don't be so sure, Doc.

You know how a Flemish can flatten themselves out when they want to. They could still be in the woods.

Your town could be the next attack of The Lepus.

-Carolyn

when we moved into our first home as a child wegot a surprise in the barn.it was full of rabbits.white with blackspots.some were dead because they had not been watered for days.bluebird

Carolyn wrote:
pamnock wrote:
Nope -- all the Flemish are long gone.

?

Pam

Don't be so sure, Doc.

You know how a Flemish can flatten themselves out when they want to. They could still be in the woods.

Your town could be the next attack of The Lepus.

-Carolyn

Thanks Carolyn -- now I'm going to have nightmares and I'll be afraid to go out at night :shock:LOL

Pam

bluebird wrote:
when we moved into our first home as a child we got asurprise in the barn.it was full of rabbits.white with black spots.somewere dead because they had not been watered for days.bluebird

How sad -- it's unbelievable that someone could just leave them like that :X

Pam

Just don't go out in the night...in the dark.

No one can hear you, no one will come - in the night, in the dark.

-Carolyn

People keep on thinking Night of the Lepusis only some dumb Hollywood movie! Don't ever say you werenot warned...Pam and others!

The proof of the warning(s) are all here, in black and white, and in the archives.

Buck

Yes you do, Stephanie. It's horrible, but you just have to be "In the Know".

-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:

you know how a Flemish can flatten themselves out when they want to. They could still be in the woods.

-Carolyn

do other breeds flatten themselves out too or is it only flemish?

LOL that is too funny. There is a bait and tackleshop down the road and they have alot of hunters go through and leavepictures. I dont hunt but know the people that work there well so wedecided to play a joke. It started out with a story about this bigrabbit hanging around the area and everyone was like oh yeah? so thenit got bigger with my cousins playing along since they go down to goboating. They said that they just saw the biggest rabbit they ever sawand had a story with it. The people didnt know we knew eachother or were related. Then I borrowed their dads hunting gear whenrabbit season opened. I went down and was kind of acting frantic likesaying omg that rabbit is behind our house and I was going to go andget it. So then I went home got all dressed up with the vest and thehat I just got from the bait shop and then my dad helped me with hisempty gun. I posed with AJ and petted her untill she relaxed. Than Ikind of rolled her on her side and kept petting her and then we tookabout fifty pictures trying to get one that was like she was big anddead like I just got her you know. Then we got out Bruno my big lazybuck that i had at the time and took him down to the bait shop in theback of my moms mini van and we ran in and showed them the pictures.Everyone was shocked and asked where it was. I said in the back of thevan. Everyone ran out to the van I opened it up and you should of seeneveryone JUMP. It was a sandy flemish giant so it looked like a wildrabbit. It was soo perfect because he was just laying kind of stretchedout you know with his back legs kicked back, and then sat up andeveryone jumped back because they saw his whole size.

I laughed sooo hard. IT was great. I couldnt believe that it all workedout, I was sure with given the time and how many people it took itwould get ruined. The picture is still down there over the board. LOL.Everyone really liked Bruno too only not everyone was brave enough topet him. A friend of mine from wisconson was going to do a picture likethat too but I didnt hear if she did or not.

Latest posts

Back