Black rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NZminilops

Reaction score
I wasn't qute sure how to put this, but do black rabbit's usually have fur that is a greyish white underneath and only black at the ends? My black holland lop is like this and has a grey stomach (but still quite dark, and is blacker when not in moult). When I blow into his fur on his back and sides etc it's white about 3/4 up the hair shaft and then black at the end. Is this normal? Is he still a black rabbit? Under his feet is also light yellowish grey. He is in my avatar.

My black Holland Lop is like that. The loose furs I find look like the tips were dipped in black ink. She also has a grayish tummy and chest because she is going through her moult right now. Silly bunny won't let me brush the loose fur out.ButI'm pretty sure they are stillreferred to asblack, I'mjust not sure if that is how all black rabbits are.

Yes, the density of the color lessens down the fur shaft and the color appears lighter. We refer to the undercolor on blacks as "slate blue".

Pam

Thank you bunny lover and pamnock. His fur is definitely white underneath, I was wondering if this was a sign of bad quality colouring as I have also found out that he is deaf and has bad front teeth that will need clipping every few weeks. I was planning to breed from him eventually but wont be now. He is still a lovely rabbit though, great personality.

It's possible that your rabbit could be a seal rather than black.

Ideally, the black's fur should be as black as possible, but depth of color does vary.

In the US, there are very few points alloted to color on lops, so we don't concentrate much on the quality of color in the lops.

Pam

Back