Blabbering Jibberish Randomly

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So a couple more questions have popped up for me...

How many hours a day of sleep are rabbits supposed to have?
I'm asking this because I have 3 rabbits that have really
different sleeping habits...

Harvey sleeps through the night but I have no idea for how
long... cos every other time I see him he's a little energetic critter...

Winston is almost constantly sleeping he always has since
we first got him he just sleeps, sleeps, sleeps...

Moshi... well moshi is like a real child... she goes super
speedy that you can't even keep up with her cos she's so fast
and then suddenly she is struggling to stay awake and it's
really funny cos most times she fights it and ends up face
planting into the ground and then waking up and it just
repeats until she admits defeat and lets herself go to sleep.

Also my other question is...

What is a peanut? is it a runt? or...
and how do you tell? is it just extremely small/

I'm asking this because I was reading another thread on
here and they said the peanut died and i've heard of them
and read about them in breeding webpages... but just never
really explained what they are...

And if I were to become a breeder one day...
How often do Peanuts happen? because I think i'm a little
weak hearted if it happens everytime...

Bonnie Lee wrote:
Also my other question is...

What is a peanut? is it a runt? or...
and how do you tell? is it just extremely small/

I'm asking this because I was reading another thread on
here and they said the peanut died and i've heard of them
and read about them in breeding webpages... but just never
really explained what they are...

And if I were to become a breeder one day...
How often do Peanuts happen? because I think i'm a little
weak hearted if it happens everytime...
Peanut is a part of life of a dwarf rabbit. When two true dwarfs mate they could give one or more kits the same dwarf gene. This unfortunately is a death sentence because the digestive tract is not developed or it's ears are deformed. Runts are fully developed but just small. Peanuts are quite noticable. You know when you have a peanut. Very sad thing but it is part of breeding dwarf breeds.

How often does it happen? With two true it could happen every litter. But if you have a false dwarf and a true, you could not see any peanuts.

If you are weak hearted, I wouldn't breed dwarfs. Unfortunately it's a part of the breeding process. A sad part, but a real part.

Hope this help you understand Peanuts.

K :)

A random pot antidote. Years ago I was working in an animal emergency room. These two guys brought in their dog who was "acting weird". Upon further questioning we discovered they had blown pot smoke into the dog's face. They were so stoned they couldn't figure out why this might be bad for the dog. Unfortunately there wasn't much we could do to help the poor dog other than just be supportive, he was clearly confused and on a bad trip.

The US actually does have isolated cases of Myxo, particularly in California. However, the wild rabbits here have more of a natural resistance so it doesnot spread like it does in EU or AU. There is no vaccine available, but I'm not sure why.

Trimming the long hair would be fine. People with NIC cube that keeps him in the bedroom, he just wants to do what he shouldn't. One day I checked his teeth and one of the top had broken. It was a clean break so I thought I would keep an eye on it. Two days later when I checked, the other one broke off to the same level (not terribly short). I have devised a covering of magazines and cardboard that he now chews and pulls on so he doesn't hurt his teeth. He also has multiple twigs and other chew toys, but he loves the gate. I would be way too afraid to trim teeth on my own.

Edit: I forgot a couple questions :)

I did learn recently about rabbits sweating through their feet. Cinderella had a fever and the vet had me dousing her feet with alcohol to help bring the temperature down. Increased the evaporation so it's cooling.

As for sleeping, I also have a range. Becky is a snoozer, tends to have short bouts of energy but likes to sleep a good deal. Gary runs and runs and runs until he crashes. He too likes to fight the urge to sleep because I just wants to play! Houdini and Cindi are more in the middle. They like to stretch out on the tiles in front of the fan and just chill, but they can also get into trouble. Basically anything Houdini does Cindi follows in his paw-steps.

Oh okay, I didn't think a peanut was within a certain breed...
But that sucks for dwarfs.
I only have mini lops... Not sure if that goes with the
dwarf gene since they're pretty different but I could be wrong.

thanks for all your answers Brandy :)
I feel bad for that dog :( I wish people did treat their
pets wrongly.. its not fair...

Okay... So another question...
I'm kind of fantastic at asking questions since I'm so
brain dead :) so if you like feeling smart and giving away
your precious knowledge... I'm the go to guy...girl...Lady :dude:

Anyways. I feel like I'm the only one that uses hay as litter
Everytime I see pictures I see everyone has some special
litter stuff if their boxes.

Mine consist of:
The thicker plastic paper advertisement stuff from inside
the newspaper... Then half a newspaper on top of that.
and then hay til its almost bouncy for the bunny to be on it.

Is my way weird? or wrong?
I feel its fine for them as they usually only pee in one end
so the other end of the litters hay is dry to be eaten :D

Are you sure it was the pot that made the dog weird, or the idiots that were raising him? lol. Sounds like stupid people syndrome than problems with a herb.

First of all, there are plenty of studies on this issue. Animals do not metabolize like humans. It tastes good them, especially rabbits and deer, but that's about it. It is not catnip for animals. Won't hurt them but won't do anything to them.

I think it's more the owners than the dog. Did you ever think the dog was acting weird to get away from these idiots? You never know.

LOL oh Karen, you are funny. I never heard back what happened with the dog, but we did call the SPCA to report it. They were going to investigate the dog's care. We considered trying to get the dog high cruel because who knows what else they were doing to the poor thing.

As for the litter question, I use horse stall bedding pellets. They are the same but cheaper than the wood stove pellets. Then I put a soft plastic screen over them. This allows the poo to stay on top for easy emptying daily and the pee runs through to the pellets, which soak it up. I change and disinfect the whole box once a week. A hay wrack hangs above the box so they can munch while pooping but not get anything on the hay.

I don't think there is really a right or wrong, just what works for you. Having a rex that is prone to foot issues, I don't want them standing on anything wet or dirty. I would think that your system probably takes more time to change frequently, but there's nothing wrong with that. As long as your buns are happy and you are happy that is all that matters.

I love this thread by the way, it's fun. :)

I have a question too. How do you think our rabbits recognise us? I know they know who I am, but is it by sight, voice, smell, all of the above? I know they hate it when I put on perfume, but do they not know it is me or do they just not like the smell?

It's probably all 3, but my guess is that smell is predominant, at least when you're not upwind [or is that downwind?] from them. Perfume COULD cover up your natural scent, but rabbits don't like it. I saw perfume on a list of things to keep rabbits from chewing on something.

LakeCondo wrote:
It's probably all 3, but my guess is that smell is predominant, at least when you're not upwind [or is that downwind?] from them. Perfume COULD cover up your natural scent, but rabbits don't like it. I saw perfume on a list of things to keep rabbits from chewing on something.
Yes, they make the same face at me that I make at my husband when he gets home from the gym and has not showerd yet. PU!

I know when I come back from a vacation and Harvey's glad I am home because the minute I start talking to him he starts to do binkys. X3 It is the cutest thing EVAR!

Where do you buy wood stove pellets?
A breeder I bought one of my bunnies from she had these wood
pellet thingys to absorb the wee and it was odor-less...
But she said it's really expensive and she has to buy it in
like a huge bulk...

I think it's all 3 also.
I was outside and Harvey was inside and when he saw me near
the door he was trying to get out...
and He comes to be when I call his name if he's under some
thing and can't see me lol.
And I think everyone has their own smell... that the bunnies
recognise as my Harvey doesn't like my boyfriends mother...
he digs and scratches at her but everybody else he seems to love and lick a ton... even strangers lol

Also I have another question about nipples... but it's different.

When do the bunnies start to get nipples?
Cos I can feel Moshi's so well and she's only maybe 3 months
old now...

and I know males don't have any so I was wondering when do
girls get them cos if it's from birth that would make it so
easy for me to sex bunnies to give them a little belly rub lol

Bonnie Lee wrote:
Also I have another question about nipples... but it's different.

When do the bunnies start to get nipples?
Cos I can feel Moshi's so well and she's only maybe 3 months
old now...

and I know males don't have any so I was wondering when do
girls get them cos if it's from birth that would make it so
easy for me to sex bunnies to give them a little belly rub lol
As I have no does, I don't know the answer to that. But will be getting my first doe too. Would be interesting to know about it . I'll have to ask my breeder about my baby girl and if she has nipples yet. She getting close to two weeks old. Definitely easier to sex knowing that does are the only ones that have nipples.

K:)

Haha definitely a lot easier... But I suppose if it was that
easy before 8 weeks old people wouldn't have so much trouble with it...

Bonnie Lee wrote:
Haha definitely a lot easier... But I suppose if it was that
easy before 8 weeks old people wouldn't have so much trouble with it...

Have to agree with you on that one. I guess bunnies like to keep you guessing until they actually show you what they really are. lol

Haha that's true. We thought my Winston was a girl until
one day he suddenly he had these two huge go-nads showing
through his white fur... lol

Male rabbits have nipples, youjust can't feel or see them as easily as on a female rabbit.

Here in Norht America, you can get wood stove pellets at most hardware stores. Also Walmart and some supermarkets. Do you have Bunnings nearby? I think they may carry that sort of thing. But you may need to look into horse stall bedding instead. It's basically the same thing. You'll most likely find it at an agricultural supply or tack and feed.

Hope that helps!

Rue

Yeah I thought males had nipples. I remember Harvey having them, I only saw them, didn't try to feel him up since he hates having his belly touched. Pretty much every male animal I have has nipples, aside from the geckos.

Latest posts

Back