Bizarre behavior, or is it normal?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danijoel

Reaction score
We are very new to rabbits, only had the three we have now for a week. Yesterday while cleaning their cagesone of our recently rescued rabbits thumped around a little with his front legs, took aim and lifted himself up on his front legs and sprayed urine all over me. I'm curious, is this normal behavior for an intact male and more importantly, after he is fixed next week, will it stop?

it means he is marking his territory,
it will lessen after the netuer. it might take a 2 weeks or so.
my rabbit has not since his ney=tur

Yes, spraying is very common male behaviour. Like Elena said, he is marking his territory.

A neuter can stop, or at least lessen the need to spray, but they may still do it after their neuter (I have a couple of delightful buns that have their moment still).

Flashy wrote:
Yes, spraying is very common male behaviour. Like Elena said, he is marking his territory.

A neuter can stop, or at least lessen the need to spray, but they may still do it after their neuter (I have a couple of delightful buns that have their moment still).
eyore took a pot shot at me a fewq days ago, he could smell a girl bunny.
so... it might happen a few times, but it will lessen. he will become some what kinder aswell.lol

Yes, and yes!

It can take a while for the hormones to calm down after neutering, but with a few weeks it should go away.

Wow, I am so pleasantly surprised at all of the great advice. I never had a clue that bunnies could spray. I hope neutering will at least curb his need to mark me in the future. He did let me pet him a little today, so in the long run, it may have been a worthwhile experience, (albeit one I am loathe to repeat!):bunnybutt: Ha!

Thank you so much and I look forward to my next unique experience with these little guys.

Did he shake his front paws? mine do that before they clean or if they are happy.

mine do the shaking of the paws before grooming. my buck - now neutered - hasnt sprayed. he does rub his chin over everything instead. am lucky that he marks his territory in such a clean way. i guess he's trying to erase all traces of his predecessor. have never seen roxy, doe, mark her territory at all.:D

Romeo thumped his front paws down before he wiggled his little behind at me. But not sure if that's what you meant.

Yep all totally normal. Neutered should almost definately stop this.

Latest posts

Back