Bitten Ears

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hln917

Reaction score
Cappuccino got loose last week and fought with Shades. She bit her ears again but this time the other one. We just noticed it yesterday. Is it safe to put Neosporin on it?

Hoping it's not infected.

shadesears.jpg

Neosporin is safe. Bunnies will do that to one another. As long as they don't hit the vein. And believe me you would know if they hit the vein.

K

I'd think it's probably not infected, but besides neosporin I'd wash the area gently 1st & then watch for any swelling until it's completely healed.

Neosporin with NO PAIN!

I read if they lick it that it could cause harm.

I would clean the area before applying neosporin.. maybe with some warm saline water just to clean it up. I would then put the neosporin on it and repeat this until its gone. Good luck!

Thank for all the responses! I really love this site.

As my husband was cleaning her wound, he felt something hard and pulled out a nail! My poor Shades. When I took her to the vet last month for a check up, one of the technician realized she was missing a nail. Mystery solved~ looks like she must have lost it scratching her ears. We have an appointment with the vet on Thursday since he is closed for the holiday. (The buns always have perfect timing don't they? :? )

In the meantime, do you think it's safe to keep applying Neosporin on the wound until we get her to the vet on Thurs?

Glad you found out what really happened. I would keep the Neo on until Thurs.

And if it was me, I'd have the Vet check inside her ears. Just to make sure there's nothing there causing her to scratch her ears. Couldn't hurt.

K

And thats Neosporin without Pain. Should have been more specific. Sorry. So glad others made that clarification.

Thanks Karen, I feel so bad for her, she had part of her right ear bitten off by Cappy in January and now this is the other ear. Will definitely ask the vet to look into it.

Thanks Karen, I feel so bad for her, she had part of her right ear bitten off by Cappy in January and now this is the other ear. Will definitely ask the vet to look into it.

The vet did check her ears and hubby also look at them every week when he plays with her. I guess I just assumed it was her nail but it was Cappucinno's when they fought. The vet confirmed it today because it's Cappy who's missing her nail. He said her ears are healing nicely already. However when he checked her molars, he found she had an infection in her mouth. Poor girl had to get her molars filed down and now on antibiotic and pain meds.

Latest posts

Back