biting very meanly

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaityMac

Reaction score
this morning my mom was waking me up and she waslooking at the bunnioes and my boy bunny, Bunns, was saying hi to herand then she put her hand in his cage and he bit her so hard that sheatarted to bleed alot and he bit her again and she got a bruise!
i need your help! what is wrong with him?

A lot of bunnies don't like when people reach into their cage. It's supposed to be their safe place.

There's nothing wrong with him. Shemay have had a food smell on her-your mom and he thought it wasfood. Once, my husband was eating potato chips and put hishand down to pet BunBun and he bit my husband so hard, he was bleedingbadly and can't stand the sight of blood so he just sat in the computerchair while it dripped on the carpet. Can't blame the bun, heknew he made a mistake. BunBun loved chips!:)

Your mom probably caught him off guard. I knowif I reach in when Poppy doesn't realize it sometimes she'll lunge andbite because I have caught her off guard.

Doesn't mean anythings wrong, just means you have to be a bit morecareful around him not to frighten him . He might also be a bitterritorial if he isn't used to your mom.

Just moving it to the general forum area :).

bunns this morning bit my mom so hard that she bled alot and took a chunk out her skin!
heres the story: my mom came into my room this mornig and she reachedinto Bunns cage and pet him and like growled at her and bit her andstarted to like attack her.
he is almost a year old and is neutered. please help me!!

Well, first of all is your mom okay?

Second, for Bunns, the best thing I can recommend is to be patient andgive him his own space. Most bunnies dont like people reaching intotheir cages. Is his cage set up so he can come out on his own?

You have to think of the cage as his own personal space, try to reachin as little as possible (like just for cleaning and feeding).

Also, was she petting another bunny or animal before she pet him?Sometimes if they smell something they dont recognize they will getaggressive.

I see you posted this multiple times. Whathappened was that mods moved the thread into the Rabbits Only Forums,because we didnt feel this was health related, its more of a behaviorproblem.

If this is confusing, heres the link to the other thread where people commented:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=20286&forum_id=1

Feel free to send me a private message if youre having trouble ;)

-Haley

There could be a number of reasons why a rabbitbites...from being suddenly startled and reacting out of fear, to someunderlying health issue, to hormones, to cage aggression. If you'veruled out any health issues with your rabbit, and if this behaviorbegins to be more routine than out-of-the-ordinary, then you might wantto consider that a) either your rabbit has hit puberty, so to speak,and is going through a (hopefully) temporary phase, or b) your rabbitis becoming cage aggressive. If hormones are the issue and your guyisn't neutered, then that might be an option you would want to consider- if so, find a rabbit-savvy vet who can weigh all the issues (pros andcons, risks of surgery vs. benefits of neutering) and assist you inmaking a decision. (Another thing to consider is that if he is housedwith a companion, he could be displaying dominance and protectivenesstoward his partner...again an issue that might be dealt with byneutering, if he is still intact. )

If you determine that your rabbit is cage aggressive, then you willneed to handle him carefully whenever he is in his cage. When you (oranyone else) needs to put their hand in the cage, approach quietly, butmake sure he is aware of your presence...startling a dozing bunny cancause a nip or bite. Wear a light pair of gloves if you feelhe might deliver a nasty bite. Place one hand on top of the rabbit'shead and gently hold his head down - covering his eyes - whilst puttingfood in the cage (or taking dishes out...whatever the reason is thatthe cage needs to be accessed) to keep him from being able to see thehand or react to it. Talk to him in a quiet loving tone while doingthis, and praise and reward him afterward. Even better, if you need todo things like fill food and water dishes or change bedding, remove therabbit while doing so, and put him back in once you're finished. Don'trearrange anything in the cage if possible...always leave the litterpan in it's place, food dishes in their place, etc. Praising him andgiving him a treat after you've put him back might help to win hisconfidence.

Rabbits can become quite territorial about their living quarters...itis, after all, their private sanctuary; the one place where they feelsafest from any predators or threats. And to a rabbit, a hand comingtoward them - even a familiar one - can be interpreted as a threat ifthey are territorial. Not all rabbits develop this, but for those whodo, some can be taught through patience and training to stop biting,while others don't catch on. For those who don't, they willneed to be treated a bit more carefully when handling them around thecage.

Bassetluv wrote:
There could be a number of reasons why a rabbit bites...frombeing suddenly startled and reacting out of fear, to some underlyinghealth issue, to hormones, to cage aggression. If you've ruled out anyhealth issues with your rabbit, and if this behavior begins to be moreroutine than out-of-the-ordinary, then you might want to consider thata) either your rabbit has hit puberty, so to speak, and is goingthrough a (hopefully) temporary phase, or b) your rabbit is becomingcage aggressive. If hormones are the issue and your guy isn't neutered,then that might be an option you would want to consider - if so, find arabbit-savvy vet who can weigh all the issues (pros and cons, risks ofsurgery vs. benefits of neutering) and assist you in making a decision.(Another thing to consider is that if he is housed with a companion, hecould be displaying dominance and protectiveness toward hispartner...again an issue that might be dealt with by neutering, if heis still intact. )

If you determine that your rabbit is cage aggressive, then you willneed to handle him carefully whenever he is in his cage. When you (oranyone else) needs to put their hand in the cage, approach quietly, butmake sure he is aware of your presence...startling a dozing bunny cancause a nip or bite. Wear a light pair of gloves if you feelhe might deliver a nasty bite. Place one hand on top of the rabbit'shead and gently hold his head down - covering his eyes - whilst puttingfood in the cage (or taking dishes out...whatever the reason is thatthe cage needs to be accessed) to keep him from being able to see thehand or react to it. Talk to him in a quiet loving tone while doingthis, and praise and reward him afterward. Even better, if you need todo things like fill food and water dishes or change bedding, remove therabbit while doing so, and put him back in once you're finished. Don'trearrange anything in the cage if possible...always leave the litterpan in it's place, food dishes in their place, etc. Praising him andgiving him a treat after you've put him back might help to win hisconfidence.

Rabbits can become quite territorial about their living quarters...itis, after all, their private sanctuary; the one place where they feelsafest from any predators or threats. And to a rabbit, a hand comingtoward them - even a familiar one - can be interpreted as a threat ifthey are territorial. Not all rabbits develop this, but for those whodo, some can be taught through patience and training to stop biting,while others don't catch on. For those who don't, they willneed to be treated a bit more carefully when handling them around thecage.
Wow Bassetluv-that says it all! :goodjob

Haley wrote:
Isee you posted this multiple times. What happened was that mods movedthe thread into the Rabbits Only Forums, because we didnt feel this washealth related, its more of a behavior problem.

If this is confusing, heres the link to the other thread where people commented:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=20286&forum_id=1

Feel free to send me a private message if youre having trouble ;)

-Haley

Hi Haley,

This is CaityMac's Mom. She is just learning about forums andhow to navigate around them. I will try to help hermore. She's a great kid and is only 13 so pleasebear with her as she learns. She loves this forum since Ishowed it to her. Her bunnies mean so much to her.

I'm not sure why Bunns bit me and acted like he did. Iusually go into CaityMac's room and say hi to the bunnies when I wakeher for school. I always bring them treats and take them out formorning loves. Bunners is a sweet little guy but wasn't thatmorning. LOL Since then, we've not had any issues with him and he'sbeen acting like his usual sweet self.

Thanks to all that help my DD out when she posts. She does appreciate it so much.

Hi AngelnSnuffy. It's nice to meet you. I willoccasionally pop on here to check on DD. Yes, I'm one ofthose mothers. :apollo:

Hey 2homeBunnies! Welcome! Glad to hear you will pop in and out occasionally :).

CaityMac is a great bunny parent.Such anawesome girl!

:D

Latest posts

Back