Biscuit's 1st Litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SNM

Reaction score
This is Biscuit's 1st live litter. 2 kits survived out of 4 we named them Toaster and Tortilla. Can't wait till they grow up :D

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af305/ShyShyLaBoo/2010-12-05112424.jpg

My little sisterslearned that just becuase the parents are great quality doesn't mean the the offspring will be the same way. That being said I was very surprised that only one kit is showable. Biscuit has 2 GC legs and their dad, Tequila,has 6 and is granded.

Very cute babies. I can't wait to see more of them as they grow. :)

With rabbits, anything can happen. Do you have pictures of the parents?

lelanatty wrote:
Very cute babies. I can't wait to see more of them as they grow. :)

With rabbits, anything can happen. Do you have pictures of the parents?

This is Biscuit
http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af305/ShyShyLaBoo/2010-12-04134410.jpg

This is Tequila(1st day I got him)
http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af305/ShyShyLaBoo/2010-11-06173147.jpg The discharge from his eye finally cleared up

Sadly, the kits didn't make it :'( I'm so sad. This is my first time litter loss and her 3rd lost litter. I'm trying to figure out what happened. I want to say it was from the cold, but they were in a covered hutch with a heater
confused.gif
. A lot of breeders have told me to rebreed her immediately to cope with the loss, but that sounds......iffy

I was so excited for those babies. I'll be upset all week. Any tips on winter litters would be appreciated

SNM wrote
Sadly, the kits didn't make it :'( I'm so sad. This is my first time litter loss and her 3rd lost litter. I'm trying to figure out what happened. I want to say it was from the cold, but they were in a covered hutch with a heater
confused.gif
. A lot of breeders have told me to rebreed her immediately to cope with the loss, but that sounds......iffy

I was so excited for those babies. I'll be upset all week. Any tips on winter litters would be appreciated
I have had 2 winter litters in my 8 years of rabbit raising. lol The first was two winters ago and the 2nd was last winter. I try not to do it very often as it is a hassle with my lack of space to get them in the garage and out of the wind and snow outside.

But besides moving them into the garage and providing a bit more hay than usual... I do nothing special for the winter litters. One was a litter of 5 woolies and only one died, I think it got trampled a little by mom. :( The 2nd litter was 6 thriantas and they were and are all fine.

So maybe it's something to do with mama rabbit. Did you say it was her 3rd failed litter? Or am I reading that wrong...?

The girl that had her before kept line breeding her to her father so the babies would come out as peanuts. She didn't make a nest so I made one for her and she fed them with no help from me. Puzzling...she made nests for the peanut litters but not this one.Why would she stop feeding them after 6 days?

I don't know why she would have lost it, she looks great. The only dutch doe I ever had that lost a litter in the winter(in NY) was a doe that had weak shoulders and was small framed herself. All of my dutch does have kept litters in the winter. Does she still have milk? My old gray doe used to dry up very quickly so I would always foster her babies to my mini rex(kindled usually together or within a day of each other)

I live in The upper part of Louisiana=Oddest weather ever. It snowed in late march last year. She had them that Wednesday and it was fairly warm until Saturday and then it got really cold Sunday night.I don't breed duringwinter, but this yearwe had to base it around when I would be back home.Might have been extreme temp change. I'm really sad, I really want a baby out of her. :(

I like your website. I'm too lazy to add all my pictures on mine

who's site? lol. I woudl rebred her. I just had my new zealand doe lose her litter today so i let her have a down day and she goes back to visit the boy tomorrow.

Blaze_Amita wrote:
who's site? lol. I woudl rebred her. I just had my new zealand doe lose her litter today so i let her have a down day and she goes back to visit the boy tomorrow.
Your site. :D . I might breed her after her January shows. Her toenail finally grew back. Thank goodness

When you rebreed her, do you have another doe you can breed at the same time or a few days before you breed biscuit? I did this with lana's kits, it might be something people disagree with, but I bred Poppy(my mini rex) 3 days before Lana. They kindled the same day. I took Lana's most promising baby and fostered it into Poppy's litter and took one of Poppy's and put it in with lana's nest. Lana actually took care her kit and the one of poppy's until they were 2.5 weeks old and then she went on a rampage and killed them(not sure why there) but my most promising dutch kit was raised thinking it was a mini rex. Lana was retired after that mess. I think if you swap kits out, you won't have to worry about getting a dutch litter but you could lose the other babies that are fostered back to her. I did it for milk consumption, Lana over produced for that last litter.
I hope you understand what I'm talking about there. If you were closer i would offer to breed one of my does to foster to if you wanted, but LA is a bit far from KY.

I have only HLs to breed along with her and one is due on Christmas and the other IDK yet it's too early to palpate. Hopefully this week I'll get my new black doe :D and maybe I'll foster all of the kits to that one. Biscuit has small litters

Back