Birth Defect?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hezzi

Reaction score
Hello!
I just rescued a baby bunny from a local pet store. He (I'm saying "he" but I haven o idea of his gender) couldn't be sold because he has a twisted neck which the pet store owner said was a birth defect. Either he was going to have to be given away free or he would be snake food. So, of course, I took him home.

He seems to be perfectly happy and healthy otherwise. He has no vertigo, imbalance, problems eating, standing, or running around like any other bunny. The only thing I've been able to find online to explain his twisted head is "torticollis" aka wry neck, head tilt, etc. Since he has great balance and everything else I'm led to believe this isn't his problem.

I was wondering if any of you breeders out there ever encounter problems like this in your litters. Are baby bunnies frequently born with twisted heads? If so do they usually grow out of it or is there anything I can do for him? His head is at about a 30-45 degree angle from where you would expect it to be.
I'll post a pic. in a minute. Thanks!

He most likely has wry neck, just not an advanced case of it. Without treatment it can worsen with time. Not all rabbits with wry neck lose their balance and roll around, and most figure out how to eat and keep on going. Treatment does not always work, its hard to treat as there are so many opinions on what causes it. He could be fine for a long time or worsen quickly. Its not a birth defect.

Alright, here's a pic of the bunny from behind. It's hard to get a picture of him keeping still, but you can see from the angle of his ears how tilted his head is.

4272_1095377417109_1006770041_30249936_3630132_n.jpg

And here's another from the front

4272_1094883484761_1006770041_30248885_3721321_n.jpg

and just for kicks here he is trying to drink my roomates glass of water

4272_1094885964823_1006770041_30248887_4937425_n.jpg

it does kind of look like wry neck, doesn't it? I've had a number of rabbits that have had it, and I've seen some in the pet stores that they couldn't even give away(I didn't have the room or time at the time to put into the rehab) and they ha dto be put to sleep. I'll cross my fingers, and hope it's just either natural or an ear infection.

that is a darling little rabbit. Best advice is to get the little fur ball to a rabbit savvy vet to get a diagnosis and treatment if needed so that it doesn't get worse -- hate to see any bunny put down before their time.

I had to treat Z myself for his wry neck. Penicillin G procaine/whatsthatotheronecalled did the trick. He had swelling so he needed Metacam for a few days but it seems like that baby is fine. Do you have any way to look at his ear drum? I bought one of them baby one things(the name slips my mind) at walmart for $16. I can not tell anything but my mother having a degree in Speech and Language knew how to tell. It took about a month and a half before his ear infection was clear. he has no noticeable tilting of his head.

It has been 2 months since he got "wry neck" and he is now fully recovered. He has problems keeping weight on but eats like a pig.

I hope you have a rabbit savvy-vet near you, having to go through and treat it yourself is stressful.

That sure does look like wry neck to me also. Treat him with ivermectin orally and get the rub on ivermectin and rub some down in his ears Treat him day One, day seven and then every 3 months for preventative. The twist in the neck might get better or it just might stay that way for life. Expect to see no changes until atleast 7-10 days. Treating him with the ivermectin will also tret him for any mites that he may or maynot have,

Celestial Wind wrote:
That sure does look like wry neck to me also. Treat him with ivermectin orally and get the rub on ivermectin and rub some down in his ears Treat him day One, day seven and then every 3 months for preventative. The twist in the neck might get better or it just might stay that way for life. Expect to see no changes until atleast 7-10 days. Treating him with the ivermectin will also tret him for any mites that he may or maynot have,
It would be best to get a vet's diagnosis before using any medication on him/her. Also, if it's an infection, I don't think that ivermectin would help. I agree that it looks like wry neck, but no one can give a definate diagnosis through pictures, thebunny needs a vet.

Thanks guys, I think I'm going to look for a rabbit rescue near me. I don't have the funds to take him to a vet (broke college student). Does anyone have any recommendations for a rescue near Auburn Alabama, or Atlanta?
Thanks!

I know! That was my reaction exactly and why I couldn't let him get eaten by a python!
Hopefully I'll find someone or a rescue who can take care of him. Thanks for all your help everyone! Also, if you know of anyone who would take this bunny please let me know. I'm in Auburn, Alabama.

Personally, I think the little head tilt makes him more adorable. He has a "baroo?" look with the head tilt. (Think of a dog cocking its head to the side with the confuzzled look). :) I hope "he" finds a good home!

Latest posts

Back