Big Problem

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sgt. Pepper

Reaction score
I've had my rabbit since October 2003 andI'vealways loved him, but starting on Easter Sunday he started mountingandhumpingme. It's now mid July and he shows nosign of letting up. His name is Churchill and hes a male dwarf rabbit.When he's not chasing my leg to hump it, he is an amazing rabbit. He isalmost like dog, and he knows his name, is potty trained and followsyou around the house, even up stairs. He is not fixed because myparents think it may change his personality. What should i do to stophim?

nothin! That's just a boy thing. I had one ofthose too. I used to gently shove him off and rumple his face. It madehim mad. hehehe Then he sprayed me.

You could get him fixed, that's about all you can do. I got kind ofused to shoving him off all the time. Does he like women especially?Mine only did that to me.

He's just trying to tell you he wants you for a mate. Does he do the courting dance yet?

Rose

Actually im a male and he stil does it, actuallyim babysitting another male rabbit and they both tried to go at it. andyes he has done the dance:)When did yours stop doing it??

You may want to considerneutering. We have a 2 year old male Angora who isjust terrible and mounts everything -- I don't think he'll ever "giveit up" LOL

Youcan also give a firm "NO!" and squirt him with a water bottle.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Youmay want to consider neutering. We have a 2 yearold male Angora who is just terrible and mounts everything -- I don'tthink he'll ever "give it up" LOL

Youcan also give a firm "NO!" and squirt him with a water bottle.

Pam

Agreed. I think it has to do with neutering and after the little mon is fixed, it should subside.

-Carolyn

Sgt. Pepper wrote:
Actually im a male and he stil does it, actually imbabysitting another male rabbit and they both tried to go at it. andyes he has done the dance:)When did yours stop doingit??

He didn't. lolololol ;)

Males do it to each other, yes. That's normal. Just make sure they don't beat each other up.

Rose

Ive actually tried the water gun thing on him andit didnt work very well. It was like a scene from a scary movie whensomeones being chased by a monster and keeps shooting it but has noeffect lol. He only stopped when he was drenched poor little guy.

Poor littlething. :( In my opinion, it's cruel not to have himneutered if his "nature" is this high. It must be a veryfrustrating feeling.

Perhaps you can do some Internet searchesand print out some materials on the benefits of neutering to showingyour parents. It will change his personality ... butfor the better. It will also help to prolong hislife.

hah no not his manhood! take anything away buthis manhood!! ;) j/k. It's probably best if he get neutered so he canstop mounting and lower the chance of getting testicular cancer.

Lucky for me, Un-neutered Peppy doesn't spray, mount, or show any kindof male aggression. I dunno why, maybe hes broken haha. I feelprivilaged to have such a well behaved male rabbit.

So, get your lil man neutered and hopefully he'll stop using your leg as his mate haha.

I have a male angora too.....but he never mountsme.....he only mounts the other rabbit I have....he's a male too and ajersey wooly....it must deal with there dominance....my two rabbits arebest of buds even tho there two males. They've never beaten eachotherup once. Sometimes they even lick eachother.........there so adorable:D

:XI think it is abuse tosprayactually spray your rabbit.No matter whatit has done.It would be discrasefulto do that!!!!:X

To Pamnock

Actually, we used to spray bunnies at the 4-Hfair as an emergency measure when it was really hot. We'd get theirears wet to help them cool down. Some buns actually died from heatstroke and neglect, so some of us concerned owners went aroundspritzing neglected rabbits and refilling water dishes.

It's none so bad, really! It annoys them some, but doesn't hurt them.

Rose

diamond wrote:
:XIthink it is abuse to sprayactually spray yourrabbit.No matter what it has done.It would be discrasefultodo that!!!!:X

To Pamnock

Diamond in defence of pamknock she has been in the buissness of bunnysfor a long time and i belive she knows what she is talking about she isalways very helpful and very friendly,and i can see you are fairly newhear so maybe you dont know. but i thought you should know. welcome andi hope that you enjoy the forum as much as we all do.

sara

I hate animal abuse, but I don't believe that asimple squirt with a water bottle or a small little hand held water gunis ever going to be considered abuse. It's not hard enough tophysically ever hurt the animal and it does not traumatize them to thepoint they are afraid of humans. It's the best way to correct badbehaviour, unless you want us to let all our bunnies get away withmurder. The water bottle was my last resort because I don't want myrabbits to risk damaging their teeth by chewing and pulling at teh wirefencing of their runs. Rabbits simply learn that what they are doing isa big no and stop. It doesn't hurt them but rabbits naturally hatewater. I don't think it's abuse by any means.

And as for spraying them down, on hot days I do that with my boys as Iwant to prevent heat stroke if at all possible since they are outsiderabbits.

diamond wrote:
:XIthink it is abuse to sprayactually spray yourrabbit.No matter what it has done.It would be discrasefultodo that!!!!:X

To Pamnock

Yes, around here we tend not to take a tone like you're exhibitinghere. We like to encourage exchanging opinions, knowledge andexperiences between members in a calm, friendlymanner. Just so happens you chose to contradict themost erudite rabbit pet owner, breeder, show woman, ARBA registrar andjudge that it has been my pleasant experience to learn from on theInternet.

Others here also successfully utilize water as a training aid as well,so while you are entitled to your opinion, most members herewould approach your advice with a bit more circumspection than that ofMs. Nock or other posters, who have established their "credentials"here over the past few months.

Hang around a bit. You'll understand what I mean before too long.

Buck

MyBunnyBoys wrote:
It doesn't hurt them but rabbits naturally hate water. Idon't think it's abuse by any means.

And as for spraying them down, on hot days I do that with my boys as Iwant to prevent heat stroke if at all possible since they are outsiderabbits.

you know, Bub stands in his water dish. littleweirdo....

For those buns who hate the hiss of the spray bottle (like mine),another thing to try is wetting the outside of those big ol' ears. Theears are important forcooling, so a little evaporation helpsbring body temp down fast.

At the fair, the spray bottles were necessary because there were so many bunnies and only about 3 of us.

Rose

P.S. do you notice I found the smileys?? hehe

Spraying water on your bunnies is not abuse.During bonding I had to use the bottle on my older girl. They are themost loving bunnies you have ever seen. I also pour cool water on thierheads and ears if they are too hot. They appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back