Big problem (bad bunny behaviour)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prince_and_thumper

Reaction score
Well, I have 2 male rabbits. They really didn't like eachother so I kept them apart. At first, prince was really shy and quiet, so I had no problem. Thumper is fiesty, yet affectionate. They are both unneutered, and I cannot get them fixed until the summer.

First of all, the problem with thumper. He actually tends to try to hump me... is there any way I can make him stop until I can get him fixed, and will getting him fixed stop that behaviour?

And now for Prince. He is much, much better. But now he's really fiesty, and today he started trying to hump my arm as well.. AND he bites too. Is there any way I can stop the biting? It really hurts. Also, can anything stop that before I get them both fixed?

Thanks

There's really no way to fix this except to get them neutered. How old are they? Many vets will do a rabbit neuter as soon as their testicles have dropped. Some rabbits do bite when they mount.

Usually neutering solves this 100%. They may still mount other rabbits for dominance but as far as I'm aware it's pretty rare for a neutered rabbit to mount human arms, legs, etc. Do be aware that it can take over a month for the hormones to subside, but often times there are pretty immediate changes in behavior.

To help ease their frustration, try giving them appropriately-sized stuffed toys. Make sure they're safe, such as those for dogs or newborns. If they chew the toys, take them away except for when you're there to supervise. But it can be a way for them to express their teenage boy hormones and some rabbits treat them as a little friend also- grooming and cuddling with them.

The reason why I have to wait for them to get neutered is because my boyfriend is paying for them to get it done in the same day. I tried the stuffed toy idea, and they don't seem to care. Also, prince bit me before he tried mounting me, which means he's getting a bit aggressive. I think it was because he could smell thumper on me from when I picked him up earlier

Oh, and prince is under a year, thumper is 2 1/2 years

Latest posts

Back