BIG prayers for Maisie, please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
Hi guys...

This post is so hard to make, because I can't see to well through my tears...

Tonight, we were cleaning everybun's litterboxes, and found blood in Maisie's box. I called up Peg immediately (she's my guru helper...so sorry for waking you, Peg), and she said that the number one cause for an unspayed doe to have blood come out in her litterbox is due to her having uterine cancer. Oh God, it's so hard to type those words.

We're going to take her in on Monday to get her spayed...please pray they can fit her in. When Danny was taking Fiver in for his neuter, the lady said that they can usually take extra bunnies there, and later than they say they allow them to be dropped off.

Also, please pray for me...I'm basically panicking. Maisie's just BARELY two years of age (turned two on 28 Dec of 07), but I guess with her having dwarfy genes, she matured faster than my other buns.

She's eating normally, activity about the same (just a tad more laying down, but I figured that was because of the winter cold in the air), and she's not more hormonal than usual, or anything...she's been just her typical Maisie self...so there's not been a single hint of something being wrong.

I don't think I can quite explain how horrible I feel right now...I feel like such an awful Mommy. I was waiting until we were moved and settled before starting on spaying everybun else, but now we're just going to get things done for everyone (that's mature sexually, that is).

We will take Maisie in hopefully Monday. Once she's healed enough I'm not practically sleeping next to her cage (probably two weeks into her healing), we'll take Flower in. And then quickly after, it'll be time for the mini's to get altered (4mos, right?), so we'll probably take them and SweetPea in at the same time, since the clinic gives a discount for three being done at once (and it'll be fine with me).

So, please pray for Maisie, and keep me in your prayers as well...I feel so awful for her. I sat and just held her for a while tonight...as I'd had her tranced so I could check her out (boy, was she mad at being picked up, too). We cleaned her up, and put her back in her cage (with clean litterbox and dinner). Peg says that getting her spayed will eliminate the uterine cancer (as she will no longer have a uterus), and that we've caught it early, so it'll be okay.

It's hard for this Mama to feel like it will be okay, though...I love my baby girl so much...and I feel like I've done a horrible thing by waiting on her spay until we were moved. I just didn't want to do her spay and then move halfway into her recovery (or shortly after she was recovered), and have her go into stasis with the change of scenery...it was honestly FOR HER that I've delayed. It wasn't out of selfishness or financial problems. We've had the ability to pay the $100 it'll take, no problem there. I just didn't want it to be done at a bad time.

Please keep us in your prayers...and pray that my baby girl isn't in pain.

Oh yes, it was definitely blood...fresh and red.

And it was definitely from her back end area, as it was on her tail, as if having gotten there from movement over a bloodied area, if that makes sense. It's obviously not FROM her tail, as it was only on the surface of her fur. I checked all around her, and there were no cuts or any lumps or anything indicative of anything else it could've been.

I'll download and post a link to the pictures I took of it (as opposed to posting the pictures directly here), so you can see what I mean by fresh, and how it's unmistakable. We took pictures of the litterbox blood only, and not of her tail area, as I didn't want to stress her anymore than necessary.

I wish I could report differently, believe me...

And I even asked Peg..."Could it possibly be from something else? I checked all around, and she definitely doesn't have any cuts or open wounds..." And she said, yes, since she's 2yrs old, a dwarf mix, and unspayed...it's just about a 100% chance that's what is happening.

:bigtears:

Rosie,

I really think everything happens for a reason even though the reasons may not be "clear" at the time.

I'm positive Maisie will be fine, whether she has the cancer or not since it'll be eliminated with the surgery.

This happening has prompted you to take action with all of your babies, and looking back on it later, you'll be able to see the good in everything even though it's hard to think of it happening now.

Peg sounds like a true "lifesaver" or true friend to be there for you when you need it the most!

Your vet will do well, your babies will all come out just fine and Maisie will eat up all the attention she'll be having (though she'll be somewhat clueless, I'm sure, LOL) before, during and after her immediate care.

You guys will be in my prayers. :rose:

Aww I'm sorry :(

I hope and pray that she does well and they can get her in for her spay tomorrow.

Leaf said it all - things happen for a reason~!

Keep us posted!

Don't feel guilty. You love your bunnies and your thought was set on trying to do the best you could for her wellbeing. It may even not be cancer, you don't have a positive medical diagnosis as yet, but, even if it is, chances are that the surgery will heal her.

Let us know what the vet's opinion is, when you hear from him.

Marietta

:pray: for Maisie

:hug: for you

I think it usually starts off as non-cancerous growths (or pre-cancerous) on the wall of the uterus and eventually progresses. They show the bleeding symptom pretty early, so it's usually caught early. Doubt Maisie's has had much of a chance to get too serious.

Best wishes, prayers vibes, hugs and pats...

sas :rose: :pray: :clover: :hug1:pet:

Hi,

I know it's scary...been there before....but I agree with Pipp and Peg. It may be a pre-cancerous thing....like endometriosis if she is passing this blood. This is a common affliction with many human females and does happen in rabbits. It might also be aurinary tract infection. She is a young rabbit that we know has been well cared for and seems to be acting normally other than the blood. I would think her prognosis is quite good. Keep the faith.

Randy

Oh Rosie, I can imagine how worried you are :hug:. Although I don't have much knowledge, I am sure that whatever it is, you have caught it very quickly, and Maisie will do just fine with the surgery. We are all with you on this, and praying for you and your little girl.

Jan

If y'all can think of anything else it might be - please let Rosie know. I must admit that at 5:30 am (I'm NOT upset Rosie - I understand) - I wasn't up to thinking through all of the various options, etc. As soon as I heard blood & litterbox my thought was, "uterine cancer" or "tumor in the uterus" or something like that.

I'll be praying for both Rosie and Maisie - and remember Rosie - you need to be calm for her too right now and not freak her out (even though you're feeling that way).

Peg

In a two-year-old rabbit, I don't think that it would be full-blown cancer yet. Even though she is a dwarf and dwarves are one of "those breeds", I would think something more along the lines of endometriosis or possibly pyometra, thought that is generally characterized by white discharge as opposed to blood...

It may be something wrong with the GI tract, it may be a urinary tract infection as said.

Best of luck to Maisie and you, keep us updated.

*huggies to you and Maisie*

Everything will be alright Rosie. You're such a caring momma who watches out for her animals.

Oh sweetie, I am sooo sorry for what you and Maisie are going through. Please don't be hard on yourself. You are a GREAT bun mom and they are lucky to have you.

You are all in my prayers. :pray: :hug:

Oh no, poor Maisie, big hugs for you and her and al fingers and paws crossed here for a fast recovery and a healthful Maisie again very soon!

Latest posts

Back