Big Decision...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaded Night Rabbitry

Reaction score
This is NOT an ad.

So after today's show, and some major disappointments with my first batch of homebred seniors, I really took a look at my breeding program. I decided that I need to make the choice between being a pet owner, a back yard breeder, and a show(wo)man.

The choice was pretty clear. While I love all of my rabbits, and feel as though each is a pet and has it's own chunk of my heart, I need to conform to the standard. I cannot let myself breed by BYB standpoints. I cannot keep breeding a pair that isn't clicking, even if it's the best chance I have. I can't sell babies and keep back adults all the time... I'll never progress.

I'm going to take time off from showing to really work on the herd. Really get some decent quality babies, and work with them to socialize and train them. I will no longer be showing every weekend, going all over the state and neighboring states. I will be attending WA convention, and perhaps Monroe and Bremerton. That's basically one show a month until fair.

In order to make the herd better as a hole, I need to cut back on what I have, and introduce new stock.

Mostly a list for myself...
To Go:
Country Field's Beatrix
Shaded Night's Sidewinder
Tanglewood's Kenai
Shaded Night's Zuperhero
Shaded Night's Paused
Shaded Night's (himi doe)
Shaded Night's (himi buck)
Shaded Night's (siamese sable buck)
Rainier's MT

This leaves me with:
Lots-A-Hop's Kiddo
Shaded Night's Cop
Lots-A-Hop's Seduction
Lots-A-Hop's Bitty
Shaded Night's (sable point doe)
Shaded Night's (sable point doe)
Shaded Night's (sable point buck)
Shaded Night's (siamese sable doe)
Shaded Night's (siamese sable doe)

I need to drop the $150+ per on some quality stock. If anyone could point me in the direction of someone, that'd be great.

This is a huge decision on my part. I'll be selling off a lot of the herd that I've bonded heavily with. It's kinda sore, and really hurts to do so... But if I want to show, I need to do it.

Yeah, Kenai just came home a month ago.
However, the whole duel purpose comes in. I'm betting he's closing in on 4 years old, and can't keep at weight. I had him DQ'd twice today at 2 lbs 10 oz. Now, my mind might be blown when I see the babies. I have him bred to two sable point does.

The whole thing is: he's so similar to kiddo. Kiddo doesn't pose for photos, but I rarely get a bad comment. The only thing Kenai has that Kiddo doesn't is thick, shorter ears. (About 1 2/3 compared to Kiddo's 2 inch ears.) I like his head a little more, but I'm not lacking in the head department. All the brood does I have, but Beatrix, have insanely nice heads.

The huge problem in my herd is midsection length. A lot of my brood does are long. Both bucks are nice and short, but all the babies are taking after their mothers. And it's not working on the tables for me.

I dunno. He's one I'm iffy on letting go... I'll make my decision after fair. If I can get him down to weight, he'll be a great show bunny. If not, then pet class.

Shaded Night Rabbitry wrote:
This is a huge decision on my part. I'll be selling off a lot of the herd that I've bonded heavily with. It's kinda sore, and really hurts to do so... But if I want to show, I need to do it.
:great:

I know this is a hard decision - I was at this point after my first few months working with lionheads and it was a hard decision to make. But to be honest - buying better quality stock turned my herd around and it turned my reputation around and made more breeders interested in my animals.

I wish I could be of more help - but I just want to say I really respect what you're doing.

Perhaps you could find a list on yahoogroups that is for rabbit sales in your state or for your breed?

TinysMom wrote:
Shaded Night Rabbitry wrote:
:great:

I know this is a hard decision - I was at this point after my first few months working with lionheads and it was a hard decision to make. But to be honest - buying better quality stock turned my herd around and it turned my reputation around and made more breeders interested in my animals.

I wish I could be of more help - but I just want to say I really respect what you're doing.

Perhaps you could find a list on yahoogroups that is for rabbit sales in your state or for your breed?
Thanks, Peg.

I already have wanted ads up for cobby brood does. Already have one reply for a couple. One 8 week that I'd have to wait a while on, and a much older junior. I just need to start finding new homes, show or not, for all the stock I need to sell.

There's one rabbit I'm having a hell of a time getting over. Fatty. I dunno. He's like. My last connection to my best friend/ex. They bonded hella hard core, and while he's so not worth it to keep, and I really don't have space, I can't get myself to put him up for sale. =/

Other piece of news:
Both show does have been bred. Now we wait. XD

From my personal experience - if you have that much attachment to a rabbit...don't let it go.

We had a mini-lop that we rescued named "Hub". Loved that guy...but we took him to a show thinking we'd find him a good home (and we did).

To this day - I've ALWAYS regretted the fact we didn't keep him. Even my husband mentions him and says he wishes we still had him.

If you're really THAT attached...hold onto him until you feel ready to let go.

Just my .02...

I just wanted to say that I'm happy for you for making that decision, and want to encourage you on that path. Sometimes it's hard to let them go, but you will find yourself happier as your show placings increase and you realize that you're really making a difference in the breed.

I just went through a similar thing and times are just starting to look up. :)

Shame you have to get rid of so many like. ND's are extremely comepetative.

I used to raise mini lops which are also competative, and ended getting out of them, and going to chins, and couple of other breeds that really needed some work.

Back