BEW Colored Holland Lop: What's her REAL color?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Hollands

Reaction score
I need help uncovering this mystery! I have a BEW doe who I am hoping to start breeding in a few months. However, I would love to figure out her real color before then. I am assuming she is a Harlequin.

She is home bred, here is some information from her pedigree (all in order, top to bottom):

Parents: BEW x BEW
Grandparents: Orange Black Tri VM x BEW (Dad's side) / BEW x Orange Black Harlequin VC (Mom's side)
Great Grandparents: Black Cream Harlequin x Broken Chocolate Chinchilla / BEW x Opal VM / BEW x Black VC / Golden Harlequin VC x Red

I would like to note her father (BEW) is considered a solid. Thanks all!

In my experience it's hard to know what her color truly is until you get a litter out her her and compare her litter to both the peds

Thank you! I was planning on either breeding her to my chocolate harlequin VM buck. Or a solid cream (non-vienna) stud. Opinions?

I'd go with the Harlequin, just because I think those colors would be interested to see what the kits look like, I don't have much experience with VM, I breed to the ARBA standard, so I don't mess around with non recognized colors.

If you want to go for show quality I would go with the cream, but if you just want cool colors I'd go with the Harlequin. That's just my opinion tho. Could you post pics of your rabbits I'd love to see them💕😍

I'd go with the Harlequin, just because I think those colors would be interested to see what the kits look like, I don't have much experience with VM, I breed to the ARBA standard, so I don't mess around with non recognized colors.

If you want to go for show quality I would go with the cream, but if you just want cool colors I'd go with the Harlequin. That's just my opinion tho. Could you post pics of your rabbits I'd love to see them💕😍
Thank you! With the harlequin, I'm pretty sure I would get VM harlequin's and BEW's.

If I bred to the cream, I would most likely get cream harlequin's and VM creams. Possiblity some show quality, too!

Here is a picture of her ♥️
Screenshot_20200715-085812_Photos.jpg

Thanks!! She is such a sweetheart ❤️ Always waiting by her door, wanting head pets and giving kisses...

Could be harlequin, could be tri. What makes you think the father is a solid?
I thought tri to at first, too. However, he only produces solids so we have determined him to be a solid. I do not breed brokens, but when paired to my friends broken doe he still produced solids! He has produced many opals, which got me wondering if that is his true color? Or Harlequin, he also produces those often and it would make sense if he was one.

What color was the mother of those opals?
You can't guarantee that he is a solid, even if he has only thrown solids. Even a broken x broken always has a fair chance of giving solids.

Very true, thank you!

The mother of the opals was a orange VM.

I am still leaning towards the fact that he is a harlequin, but he could very likely be a tri. Don't you think he would of produced any brokens if that was his true coloring?

If he produced opals when bred to an orange VM, he can't be harlequin genetically. He has to something that is full colored (E_) based. Perhaps a chestnut, or an opal or maybe a black. It is more likely that he would be solid given those odds but we can't rule out that he is broken.

Sorry for the confusion, the orange VM does carry opal - from her grandmother. They were bred quite a few times together, so while they produced lots of opals, they were all from her side :)

Orange can't carry opal; orange is a non-extension color, and opal is a full-extension color, and non-extension is recessive to full-extension.

Latest posts

Back