Best way to introduce my rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bad kelpie

Reaction score
It won't be for at least a few weeks. Basil has to get neutered first and Lump has an eye infection. But when they're ready, how should I do it? Basil lives in an x-pen in my yard and gets nice long runs in the yard every day. Eventually, I want to have both bunnies have free run of the yard all the time. There's a 6 foot fence and the fence comes straight to the ground where it us met by rocks or concrete blocks. My cat can't even get out without scaling the fence.

Lump is a full grown female French lop of an unknown age, Basil is an adolescent male (will be neutered) checkered giant mix.

I'm thinking put lump in the yard and let Basil out. Maybe throw a handful of clovers between them. Or should it be more gradual? I have another x-pen, I could put them side by side.

I am about to adopt a rabbit friend for Cheeto, and the one thing I've learned is that introductions should be slow, and in neutral territory at first.
It kind of freaks me out that your buns will be in such an open yard because I'm terrified about hawks/predators. But it sounds like Basil is doing great, so I'll just shut my mouth ;)

There are tons of threads on here about bonding buns, try and do a search. I had a hard time finding them (and unfortunately I didn't save the links), but they are there!
Good luck! =)

Well, it's not a big yard. And we don't have tall trees, and Basil doesn't have free run until he's big enough to not be carried off. There's no way I'd do this with small rabbits.

I raised chinchillas for a long time. To introduce them, I would usually just put the two in the mellowest one's cage with a handful of hay. This almost always worked. If they fought, I'd separate. Next step was to put them both in one crate and take them for a car ride. If the car ride didn't work, they'd never get along. I just hoped rabbits would be this easy :).

I think it's also different for every rabbit pair. Hopefully it won't be too difficult!

Back