Best toys for bored bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyv

Reaction score
Hi,

I was just looking for any suggestions on toys for inside our bunny's cage. He spends most of the day (7am-5pm) in the cage while we're at work and I feel that he can become bored.

Thanks!!

BobbyV

Most bunnies are actually sound asleep while we're at work and only active during dawn and dusk. Whenever I happen to be home during the day, my bunnies don't spend any of their time playing - just lounging! Haha.

Still, toys are so important for mental stimulation. My bunnies love cardboard boxes to hide in and dig at. Those are huge hits. Seagrass mats are also popular for digging. Some bunnies like things they can throw like baby keys. Papertowel/toilet paper tubes stuffed with hay are a good way to encourage hay consumption and provide stimulation.

elrohwen wrote:
Most bunnies are actually sound asleep while we're at work and only active during dawn and dusk. Whenever I happen to be home during the day, my bunnies don't spend any of their time playing - just lounging! Haha.

Still, toys are so important for mental stimulation. My bunnies love cardboard boxes to hide in and dig at. Those are huge hits. Seagrass mats are also popular for digging. Some bunnies like things they can throw like baby keys. Papertowel/toilet paper tubes stuffed with hay are a good way to encourage hay consumption and provide stimulation.

If you get could get anx pen for your rabbit andgive himmore space you would have room to place a large cardboard box inside the x-pen.Each of my rabbits has his own cardboard box and they literally spend hours shredding and ripping them apart.
I have to replace each box every month.

It keeps a rabbit busy and happy althoughI do agree that rabbits are most active in the evening and early morning hours so I hear all this box ripping whenI am in bed at night. :D

My rabbit LOVES card board boxes to play with. Also, they make blocks of different colors for rabbits to chew on, he loves those. (Make sure rabbit safe). And BELLS are Boomer's fav. I found this out when he kept trying to get to my husbands spinner bait after hearing it jingle.

my buns have nothing to do with toys during the day while their in their cages..but when i let them out at the end of the day they love love love tunnels..and whatever else they can destroy...cardboard,,i also open up a couple of small brown paper lunch bags and put yummy stuff in them..after theyve found the goodies they beat up the bags...my buns arent really into very many toys...only my youngest male whos not neutered yet...i can throw anything in his cage and he will perform for us..hehe..i call him our one bunny circus act....i make sure my buns have plenty of hay during the day ..it seems like thats all they want to do .eat and sleep.:)..oh yea and groom.

It is true that they're typically most active at dusk and dawn, so he's probably just sleeping while you're gone, assuming he gets out time when you're at home.

My buns love things they can destroy (phone books, cardboard boxes, grass mats) and things that make noise (cat balls with bells).

everybody pretty much covered all my suggestions--our love cardboard boxes--one thing we do is to place a litter box inside a cardboard box and fill it with shredded newspaper. That provides them with a hangout as well as paper to play with and get in some digging without tearing up something.

Nancy McClelland wrote:
everybody pretty much covered all my suggestions--our love cardboard boxes--one thing we do is to place a litter box inside a cardboard box and fill it with shredded newspaper. That provides them with a hangout as well as paper to play with and get in some digging without tearing up something.
quick question..what is the litter box for inside the box ?if its something that works better then shoot ill try it....i put shredded newspaper in a box for them ..but i never put a litter box in it cuz i thought theyd pee and poop in it instead of play.....im willing to try anything that works for them .

You might also try mounting a piece of 1x2 or 1x3 plain lumber (untreated pine) across a corner of the cage about halfway up the sides. For Natasha's cage, a piece about 18" long fits perfectly. I cut a notch about 1" in from each end and slip the board between two bars of the cage, with the bar in the notch on each end.

Your mileage may vary - all buns are different. The wood was in the cage for six years and Scone completely ignored it. I'd forgotten the thing was there, but to my surprise as soon as she found it was there it only took Natasha a week to get right through the board the first time. I've replaced it twice already, and it only lasted a few days the last time. She loves gnawing on the wood.

I had tried the shredded paper in the cardboard box (before Peaches was fixed) and he would just poop, poop, poop and pee in it every single time (you'd hear them drop) I haven't tried this since his operation (I hated cleaning it out each time) but I may try that again - Peaches loves boxes - he has a small box that he tries to binky and flop in - it's hilarious to watch him - he'll do a half binkie and a partial flop (you can see his back legs sticking up) then he'll look over the side of the box to see if anyone saw him. So cute!

I got something from the pet store - two small bundles of (broom grass??) tied together. - like this http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4199421 - well the first day, Peaches loved this stuff and ate through one string so only one end was holding - then he ate through the other one - now I have strands all over his cage - I ended up putting them in a paper towel tube and cut a hole in one part so he could still nibble them

Tweetiepy wrote:
I had tried the shredded paper in the cardboard box (before Peaches was fixed) and he would just poop, poop, poop and pee in it every single time (you'd hear them drop) I haven't tried this since his operation (I hated cleaning it out each time) but I may try that again - Peaches loves boxes - he has a small box that he tries to binky and flop in - it's hilarious to watch him - he'll do a half binkie and a partial flop (you can see his back legs sticking up) then he'll look over the side of the box to see if anyone saw him. So cute!
Tweetiepy that DOES sound super cute..:).i luv when buns look around to make sure no one saw them.

One toy my rabbits really enjoy is a good kong toy. Y'know, the hollow dog toys you can stuff with food? My rabbits love them. I just put a carrot stick or some parsley inside, and they're good for a couple hours at least. I found kongs to be extremely useful when they went through their adolescent phase, bouncing off the walls and destroying everything. It kept them from totally destroying my carpet.

Back