Best Place For Buns...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpalamar

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me... where is the best place to keep your buns? Right now I have my buns in my spare bedroom which is rather small and doesn't give them much play room for exercise. I've been thinking of putting them in my basement. My basement is unfinished tho, with cement flooring. And truth be told, I actually spend more time in the basement(as my comp is down here) than I do anywhere else in the house. I was also thinking that it would be better for them because in the summertime when it gets really hot, my basement is always nice and cool. And during the winter I turn the heat on in my basement but since heat rises the basement only gets so warm (and believe me, I'll put the temp in my basement to 77 degrees but because the heat rises my basement never gets warmer than 55 degress - but it saves me from having to put the heat on upstairs... lol). Anyways - back to the point... Is it a good idea to keep them in the basement? I also want to expand they cage too, to a full out mansion (I'm thinking like 6 feet by 9 feet, 4 or 5floors to it etc...). If I keep them in the spare room, there is just no room for me to expand their cage... any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!
Melissa

Hmm, Well if you spend a lot of time in the basement, I don't see any reason why not. As long as they got some company - do you have more than one? Are they bonded -they would also have each other for company.

I don't know if the cement would be too hard on their feet 24 hours a day - anyone else know?

Maybe laying down some grass mats and things for them to play on would be good.

I have two buns,and my concerns were the flooring, although right now it isn't any better I have a NIC cage and the floor of my spare room is old oilcloth so I cover it with a nice doggie blanket, which I intend to do if I move them to the basement. Plus my other concern is lighting. I have 3 lights in my basement but they don't give off an immense amount of light, so my basement is rather dull and dark.... hmmm, not sure what to do...

Melissa

as far as the floor goes...What if you get those colorful interlocking floor mats that they use for children's playrooms to put down on part of your floor...like these...however, you may want to watch out for your rabbits chewing on them...it mightnot be a great option but I just wanted to throw the idea out there!

(sorry the only good pic I could find is one from that movie Cars)

cars.jpg

Hi Melissa! I don't see a problem taking them downstairs, especially like Honeypot said since your down there a lot.

I have an idea for the floor, that is if you can permanently alter it(you're not renting). Those stick on tiles. My mom did that to her basement and it really looks nice! It would make it look more lively for you and a little softer on the buns feet!:D

I own my ownhouse yes, but I'd rather not put stick tiles down because we are planning on finishing the basement eventually... just not for another10 years or so... lol. I really liked the idea of the floor mats, but I would be worried about my buns chewing it. I was thinking of something else... what if I took my NIC cage, threw some pannels on the bottom of my cage to make a floor, then covered that with peg board so it wouldn't be so hard on their little feet... would that work? At least that way they are about 1/2 an inch off the actual floor altogether.

Melissa

Latest posts

Back