Best pet breed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luluznewz

Reaction score
So...I'm sure this thread has already been done (if so sorry) but I'm curious which breed you guys think makes the best pets. By "best" i'm thinking qualities like sociability, friendliness, ect. but include your own reasoning as well!

Just curious.

what? I'm talking about which breed of RABBIT everyone thought made the best pet...

P.S: arnt greyhounds like...bred to chase rabbits down? That seems a bit ironic...

Gosh thats such and individual thing!!
For me the best buns are the Angoras. No bonding is as often and thorough as grooming time!! LOL
They are sweet buns and because of the need to be groomer, I have found them to be the cuddliest.
They are pretty too. :)

As for other animals...gosh to many to pick a fav!

I love sheep for farm critters. When they are raised with constant petting from lamb on they turn into big giant gnetle cuddle bugs. They are calm and quite and fun to watch when they run around acting like lambs, jumping and climbing at 250 pounds!! LOL.

In the house, snakes, boas. I love Boa constrictors. My Klaatu is my favorite inside pet. She cuddles in her snake way using me for my body heat. She is clean, odor free and quiet. She is ok if she doesn't get constant attention or if you lavish her with it. :)

Right now I have a Flemish Giant male, who is very sweet, but very lazy! He is also huge 12 lbs at 8 months, so think about how much space you would have for a rabbit, and what size cage/enclosure you would want, as well as how much to spend on food.

I have heard that in general, male rabbits are more affectionate than females, and that their temperments are far better after they are fixed, as their hormones make them go crazy!

I had previously had a 7 lb mini-lop, who was very sweet and affectionate, and a real riot with her personality. She would go through very pouty phases if I left her for a weekend in the care of someone else, or if I tried to do something she disapproved of. That said, she was a real joy to have, her fur was very silky and smooth, and she was just adorable with her floppy ears.

I know there are a lot of rabbits that end up in shelters, many of which would come spayed or neutered, so a good starting place would be to check a local shelter or rescue, because you would help and animal in need, you would know its temperment, and avoid a huge vet bill to have it fixed. Each individual rabbit has its own personality, so it really depends on what size you think you can handle, and then find the right rabbit for you from there.

All that said, I have only owned 2 rabbits, so I don't necessarily have the experiance of others on here, but I hope it helps!:)

My vote lies with Holland lops. They're small, very docile, mellow, friendly, cute, and very social! (Mine are, anyway.)
My friend sticks with mini rexes mostly because she loves their plushy fur - but I like the slightly longer coats.

I will say though - just watch out for shedding season with them! Also, you have to groom them every so often, because the fur on their feet can get matted, as well as the fur on their butt, which can get crusted with poop and pee. Ew! Other than that though, they're by FAR the best, IMO.

Luluznewz wrote:
what? I'm talking about which breed of RABBIT everyone thought made the best pet...

P.S: arnt greyhounds like...bred to chase rabbits down? That seems a bit ironic...
LMAO u left that wide open with the word "pet" lol or at least I thought so lol

I will rephrase then I love my Flemmy but also Love my Hotots

And yes a greyhound is the one that chase bunnies...I know Ironic, I fostered and owned them...love love love them!!!!

haha i guess i did leave that one wide open. I'm not planning on getting any more pets, but I wanted to hear about rabbit people's experience with different breeds.:)

English Lops!

Cuddly and inquisitive. :inlove:

I love that she will snuggle with me during the day on the couch, but at nighttime she is her own rabbit and likes to run around, check things out and do her own thing.

Of course her ears are magnificent and English Lops are coined Kings of Lops. They were the original lop breed and one of the first breeds of rabbit to be domesticated and then bred to create the other lop breeds we now see today.

I love Flemies for their dog like nature. But i had a mini lop when i was little and he was the funniest little guy even if he didnt like to be handled. I have a Holland and she is good being handled you just have to catch her first. Yurusumaji i might agree with you soon with the Elops. I think its not the breed but the personality of the rabbit. My friend has 2 dutch rabbits and they are dr.jekel and mr.hyde completely.

I have volunteered at a rabbit rescue group for over a year now and am responsible for over 150 adoptions. And guess what? Th best bunnies are always Holland Lops!
They're sweet, tiny, energetic, trainable, and overall just amazing!

My vote is for the holland lops. Our two are so extremely personable and sweet. They don't bite or run away/hideand are good even with my young children, and my little doe loves to cuddle with me. I don't have experience with other breeds but I will say my hollands are totallovebugs.

Jill

I'm giving my vote for the Jersey Wooly! I've only had mine for a day now and I absolutely adore him!!!!!!!! He's sweet, docile, very gentle, friendly, and cuddly too. Plus, with all that wool, I get to spend more time with him while grooming! My mini lop and rex does are being bratty right now, but maybe I'd consider voting for them in a few weeks when they stop with their attitudes. :)

Hollands... very active, friendly and inquistive...

But I have an English Spot who is the same way and she makes sure she is in my face so she gets her time....

Depends on if the pet owner is willing to understand the language of Rabbit... then the possibilities are endless...

Denise

I'd have to say Dutch they are friendly, smart and seem to live alot longer, very resilient bunnies.

I would have to say Holland lops...

But having recently seen some full grown French lops...I am torn! They are a bigger bunn but oh so loveable! I want one now too! Oh dear...hubby is going to kill me!;)

Danielle

Latest posts

Back