Best pellets to feed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not a matter of a brand, what matters is the elements contained in the pellets. You should opt for pellets high in fiber-low in fat and proteins. Don't buy pellet mixes with additional stuff like dried corn, peas, veggies, fruit etc. Don't buy treats and, in general, anything high in sugars. Please do take the time to read the excellent articles in our Library in regard to the correct nutrition, pellets, percentages and quantities are included.

Marietta

I use Burgess Supa Rabbit Excel for Junior and Dwarf Rabbits (aqua bag).
These are specifically for growing rabbits and for the fast metabolism of dwarf rabbits.
It contains anti-oxidants to support the immune system, high fibre for the digestive system and contains live bacteria.

It's really good- I love it. Well....I've never eaten it but the buns adore it, and it is a really good brand. Plus, the pellets are teensy- for those little dwarf mouths!!!! If you look on the pack it gives you all the nutritional information and why the amounts are used.

If you don't have a dwarf rabbit then I suggest Burgess Supa Rabbit Excel (dark green bag) is best, which also has anti-oxidants, high fibre and bacteria.

These are both nuggets so prevent selective feeding- I think these are by far the best.

Yes, they need a feed higher in proteins, fat and nutritional elements, because, in the same way as with kids, young buns are building up their organism and need a richer food to achieve this. Please note that most of the pellet brands have special pellets for junior rabbits, and this is what they must eat till the age of 1 year. Then you switch to pellets for adults. Alfalfa hay and cubes are also high in proteins, this is also why there are recommended as a nutritional feed for young rabbits.

Marietta

When I got Baxter I bought the crappiest of pellets (Kaytee blend of seed and what not) He is now on Timothy Hay pellets and has done so much better.. Poor guy was so starved when I found him and then I fed him the "McDonalds" of bun feed for about 3 weeks..

I still keep the bad food around for a very small treat for him - give him a tsp. every other week and he just goes nuts for it.. But he has done so much better on the timothy hay pellets that my Vet recommened..

I don't know much about other types of feed, but the pellets I feed are Oxbow. Merlin is young (about 17 weeks) so I offer him the alfalfa based pellet. They also have a timothy based pellet, a couple different kinds of treats, and various types and cuts of hay.

I really can't speak for the other brands of rabbit pellets, but Oxbow is a brand I trust. I fed Oliver my previous bunny kaytee forti diet when he was younger and the timothy complete when he was older. Kaytee isn't a horrible choice, but I wouldn't recommend it either, I've heard something about a preservative that they use causing cancer in humans and rats... don't quote me on this one, I've only heard this fromfriends who arebun owners.

JulieW19673 wrote:
When I got Baxter I bought the crappiest of pellets (Kaytee blend of seed and what not) He is now on Timothy Hay pellets and has done so much better.. Poor guy was so starved when I found him and then I fed him the "McDonalds" of bun feed for about 3 weeks..

I too am gulity of buying the "Fiesta" Kaytee diet at first, because it looked "fun". Bad Bad Bad! Stear clear of pellet diest with extras in it... your buns don't need it. Plain pellets is the way to go.

Marietta wrote:
It's not a matter of a brand, what matters is the elements contained in the pellets. You should opt for pellets high in fiber-low in fat and proteins. Don't buy pellet mixes with additional stuff like dried corn, peas, veggies, fruit etc. Don't buy treats and, in general, anything high in sugars. Please do take the time to read the excellent articles in our Library in regard to the correct nutrition, pellets, percentages and quantities are included.
:yeahthat:Well said!

The best quality pellets sold in the US are Oxbow Bunny Basics T and Kaytee Timothy Complete. Either are a great quality timothy based pellet.I switched to Oxbow last year and will never go back. My bunnies are healthier than ever now. My local pet stores dont carry it but they special order it for me from Oxbow and I get 50# for 38.00 with shipping which is a great deal.

SweetMeadow is right up there with Oxbow and Kaytee.

SweetMeadow -
pel_rabtimothy2.jpg

Oxbow - Bunny Basics/T

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min) 14.00 %
Crude Fat (min) 1.50 %
Crude Fiber (min) 25.00 %
Crude Fiber (max) 29.00 %
Moisture (max) 10.00 %
Calcium(min) 0.35 %
Calcium (max) 0.85 %
Phosphorus (min) 0.25 %
Salt (min) 0.50 %
Salt (max) 1.00 %
Vitamin A, IU/kg 20,000
Vitamin D, IU/kg 880
Vitamin E, IU/kg 140
Copper, mg/kg 20

Ingredients
Timothy Grass Meal, Soybean Hulls, Wheat Middlings, Soybean Meal, Cane Molasses, Salt, Limestone, Yeast Culture (Saccharomyces cerevisiae), Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement (tocopherol), Vitamin C Supplement (Ascorbic Acid), Colloidal Silica, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K), Riboflavin, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pantothenic Acid, Biotin, Thiamine, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Pyrodoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Magnesium Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Manganese Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Mineral Oil, Calcium Iodate, Potassium Chloride

Kaytee

Ingredients
Sun-cured Timothy Grass Hay, Oat Hulls, Wheat Middlings, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Ground Wheat, Ground Oats, Dried Cane Molasses, Salt, Dicalcium Phosphate, DL-Methionine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamin A Supplement, Choline Chloride, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Ethoxyquin (a preservative), Niacin, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of vitamin K activity), Cholecalciferol (source of vitamin D3), Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Iodate, Biotin, Folic Acid, Dried A. oryzae Fermentation Extract (source of protease), Dried Bacillus coagulans Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus licheniformis Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product, Cobalt Carbonate, Sodium Selenite.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min.)...............13.0%
Crude Fat (min.)......................1.5%
Crude Fiber (min.)..................18.0%
Crude Fiber (max.).................23.0%
Moisture (max.).....................12.0%

Calcium (min.).........................0.3%
Calcium (max.)........................0.8%
Phosphorus (min.)....................0.3%
Salt (min.).............................0.25%
Salt (max.)............................0.75%
Vitamin A (min.)................5000IU/lb