Best pellet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kep12091

Reaction score
I am going to start transitioning my rabbit onto new pellets. I will probably make my purchase at tractor supply and I was wondering what makes up a good quality pellet for my bun. she is over a year old. thanks! :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Rabbit Forum mobile app

I feed Manna Pro from Tractor Supply. My rabbit likes it a lot, her coat is shiny and she's a good weight. I like it a lot, and its a pretty reasonable price.
They have Manna Pro, which is like the regular food. Then Manna Sho, that helps maintain a better coat condition for showing(I think). Then Manna Gro, which is their baby food.

I feed Manna Pro from Tractor Supply. My rabbit likes it a lot, her coat is shiny and she's a good weight. I like it a lot, and its a pretty reasonable price.
They have Manna Pro, which is like the regular food. Then Manna Sho, that helps maintain a better coat condition for showing(I think). Then Manna Gro, which is their baby food.

thank you :) how much pellet a day do you feed your bun. i know it depends on age and weight, i have to weigh my bun right now but so far i have been feeding her 3\4 of a cup in the mornings and she has it finished by night or the next morning. the woman i purchased her from said she is a little overweight and could possibly go on a diet, but i dont want her to go without food or be hungry. also i constantly have timothy hay available for her, and am going to start "treating" her with greens every so often.

I have looked at the ingredients in the rabbit foods from Tractor Supply, including Mana Pro, and the first ingredient is alfalfa which is not good for adult buns. If your bun is overweight, you might want to get a timothy based pellet. They are more expensive though. I get mine from sweetmeadowfarm.com. Ox bow and Kaytee make them too that I know of from Petsmart.

Is she an adult? How much does she weigh?
The usual recommendations for diet for a pet rabbit is unlimited access to grass hay and then roughly 1/4 cup pellets per 5 lbs of body weight. I personally feed Oxbow and have been very happy with it.

What are the options that your local store carries?

Is she an adult? How much does she weigh?
The usual recommendations for diet for a pet rabbit is unlimited access to grass hay and then roughly 1/4 cup pellets per 5 lbs of body weight. I personally feed Oxbow and have been very happy with it.

What are the options that your local store carries?

She is a year and a half . I have to weigh her when I her home but she is larger. Tractor supply is my local store and they carry dumore. Anyone use that?

I don't know if you can get it in the US but I feed my buns 'Burgess Excel Adult'. It's great and my rabbits love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

Dumor is the TSC generic brand, I personally wouldn't get it. I don't like Dumor chicken feed because it makes my chickens smell horrible and it wasn't a good feed for my birds.

I think this article is a good one for knowing what to look for in a pellet.

For an adult rabbit it is recommended to have a timothy-based pellet (first ingredient listed).

I like Oxbow Essentials. I buy a 50lb bag at petfood direct and refrigerate it (in smaller bags of course).

Remember that any switches should be done gradually over a week or two. Mix the old with the new, gradually increasing the proportion of new to old.

I also use Oxbow Essentials! I originally tried Oxbow Organic Rabbit but my bun didn't really care for them, not to mention it's a smaller bag for a higher price. Since I only have one 4lb rabbit (about a year and a half old) I just get the 10 lb bag and it's enough to probably last for half a year since I try not to give him too much each day.

I think this article is a good one for knowing what to look for in a pellet.

For an adult rabbit it is recommended to have a timothy-based pellet (first ingredient listed).

I like Oxbow Essentials. I buy a 50lb bag at petfood direct and refrigerate it (in smaller bags of course).

Remember that any switches should be done gradually over a week or two. Mix the old with the new, gradually increasing the proportion of new to old.

Is in the fridge in ziploc bags the best way to store feed,? How can i tell if it goes bad?

I also use Oxbow Essentials! I originally tried Oxbow Organic Rabbit but my bun didn't really care for them, not to mention it's a smaller bag for a higher price. Since I only have one 4lb rabbit (about a year and a half old) I just get the 10 lb bag and it's enough to probably last for half a year since I try not to give him too much each day.

Is in the fridge in ziploc bags the best way to store feed,? How can i tell if it goes bad?

I read somewhere that keeping it in the refrig will help keep it fresh. I'm feeding 2 rabbits with that. I know it shouldn't be frozen.

I figure one year would be ok, but that's just my opinion and not based on anything I've seen or read.

If you're concerned, you could always buy the smaller bags.

Back