Best Litter Materials?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
naturestee wrote:
I actually like the "crumble" type stuff better. It covers the bottom of the litterbox better because the particles are smaller. That's what ABM is like. Now I'm using Marth because I moved and that store is closer too me. It has those big pellets that I don't like as much, plus it doesn't seem to absorb urine or deter odors quite as well as ABM. When I run out I'm going to see if I can find a different wood pellet brand near me.
It looks like it is more comftable to stand in, too. Especaily with big ol' feet!:D
I found a supplier of the Guardian

naturestee wrote:
Nes, does that corncob stuff actually absorb much? I was always told not to use it because it wasn't much more absorbant than ye olde average wood shavings.
I've always been hesitant to use the corn in case they ingested it. Not sure about the corncob though.

~Jim

With the screen, the poopsdoesn't get into the Woody Pet.

IMGA1034.jpg

I lift up the screen, removing the poops.
Using the kitchen spoon, I scoop out the wet litter, stirin new litter and I'm done.

IMGA1035.jpg

Rainbows! :)

Pebbles is so good and cooperates better than my bunnies.
Mine would make VERY short work out the plastic canvas. MooSHu already ate half of her plastic litter pan. And they would certainly think those poops were for flinging across the room.

Amusing story...
I decided to buy a nice slotted pooper scooper to start panning for poops again. I cleaned out the first pan and it worked pretty good. Holes were just the right size to let Woody Pet through, but not the poops. After I finished the first pan, I looked at the scooper and said," Oh great.....now I have to clean the scooper between pans so I don't spread germs from one to the next." I looked at the remaining 7 pans....looked at the dirty scooper....looked back at the pans....tossed the $.99 in the trash and just dumped and washed the pans as usual.
With one or two buns it might be worth it, but with 8 it's just easier to dump&clean. I've got it down to 5 minutes a pan....going for 4 :D.

Corncob can be a problem if ingested.

I just got a 30 lb bag of Woody Pet from Mackey's/Agway, cost me $6 & change. It's the "crumble" type described above. I'm adding it slowly to Daisy's pine shavings so hopefully she'll accept it.

Just got the "crumble" Woody Pet from Mackeys/Agway, 30 lb for $6 & change. Putting a bit in her box at a time, hopefully she'll accept it.

bbgrl20 wrote:
Here's the website http://www.longbeachshavings.com/pellets.html, will it be safe for my bunnies or should I go back and get something different?

http://www.longbeachshavings.com/pellets.html

It does say it's recommended for horses and smaller animals, but I am leery about the application where you have to top layer with pine shavings.

Another thing is that it is commercial dried, It Should Be Kiln Dried to remove the oils from wood.
Does it have a strong Pine Smell? (Not Good if it does).

Rainbows! :?

Yes, I can see the difference! I've wondered since having this litter how to make it easier to just scoop out the poo instead of just dumping the whole thing out, but it's so dang cheap, ultimately I don't have a problem with it. Lol!!

We were buying CareFresh bags at $6/bag, and using about 2 packages a month, and we are now buying that bedding I posted the picture of at $6/bag, and we use about one bag every two months. So we're literally spending about a 1/4 of what we used to on bedding, and it helps so much more with odor control and absorption! I love it!! I'm so glad I read the posts I did about bedding, and surveyed your guys' thoughts and experiences in thinking of switching!! It's saved us SO MUCH money, and lasts so much longer than the CareFresh did!!

I totally recommend wood pellet litter...it's AWESOME!! (Sorry to sound so Californian in that statement...but hey, whatever...hehe!!)

JimD wrote:

I'm so glad you posted this picture!!

A while ago there was a major concern with the declining quality and increasing cost of Woody Pet.
With some research I found that several of the manufacturers now make a product that they refer to as "crumble". Guardian was the first one that informed me.
In your pic is a representation of what the old Woody Pet looked like. Now it's more broken up. A lot of buyers had an issue with this and decided to switch to something else.
Contrary to others, I found the new product different, but not lacking in performance. With the full pellet version I found myself throwing away a lot of the stuff still in pellet form. With the crumble it seems to absorb quicker, and it's somewhat easier to "pan-for-poops" and skim out the poops with a slotted spoon as there aren't so many pellets to get picked up too.

As for the price going up, it must just be the stores that are bought from. My agway has been charging $4.79 for the last 2 years and they indicate that they don't have plans on raising the price.

I don't know if the difference can be seen in this pic, but....

attachment.php

Just my:twocents

:bunnybutt:

I would SO love to try that, but when I brought the idea up to my husband, he reminded me that Maisie would REALLY not go for the idea. She is EXTREMELY picky on her cage habits, as it is. I could at least try that, I guess, though. :)

Pet_Bunny wrote:
With the screen, the poopsdoesn't get into the Woody Pet.

IMGA1034.jpg

I lift up the screen, removing the poops.
Using the kitchen spoon, I scoop out the wet litter, stirin new litter and I'm done.

IMGA1035.jpg

JimD wrote:
Just like Feline Pine is way more expensive that Woody Pet, but basically the same stuff.

~Jim
thats what i thought...but people on another site told me never to use feline pine because it was bad for bunnies? ive been using it though

Thanks for your advice pet bunny. I noticed that it did have a pine smell when getting out of the car. So I guess its back to the feed store to get something else, the thing is she said it was made from newspaper and I didn't see the bag until after I got home!:?

Thanks again!!

Maherwomen: you said you are using dry stall, do you like it, because they have it at the feed store, so I might go back and get that

I just bought Dry stall, and it wasn't what I was expecting. It looks like little rocks. And although it says it's safe i am concerned if my rabbits ingest it because it is so small. Has anyone used dry stall? here's the link http://www.drystall.com/dry_stall.html

I dont know why its so hard for me to find a good bedding!!
The feed store was very nice in exchaning the longbeach shaving for the dry stall, so now I feel bad and stupid for going back a second time!:baghead:imstupid

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Don't worry. :)
I went through the same thing when I was looking fora Woody Pet type litter.
Maybe you found something superior to Woody Pet.

How much did Drystall cost? It does say it has other uses and is an ideal choice for the litter box.

The first time I bought wood pellets, I bought4 bags of a brand called FireMaster. It smelled so bad of Pine that I was getting headaches from it.
It was only $4.00 a bag so I donated a couple of bags tothe animal shelter for their cats. I kept a bag to mix in with some of the other pellets to use it up.

The type that Maherwoman got was http://www.drystall.com/best_pine.html
Maybe you could PM her and get her suggestion about best_pine.

BE interested in knowing more about this Drystall.

It was only 7 dollars for a 40 lb bag. Pretty cheap compared to care fresh and yesterdays news! But more that woody pet:? I read on their website if a horse were to eat it it would be okay because of the size, but if my bunnies did it could be and i guess thats what I am worried about. I'll try with very close supervision and see how it works. If it doesnt work , my boyfriend says he is going to use when he does his gardening.

And thanks petbunny and bunman for the reassurance that I am not the only one who seems to have this problem!!:thanks:

I don't use the Dry Stall you pictured, I use this litter:
bbgrl20 wrote: [/b]
I just bought Dry stall, and it wasn't what I was expecting. It looks like little rocks. And although it says it's safe i am concerned if my rabbits ingest it because it is so small. Has anyone used dry stall? here's the link http://www.drystall.com/dry_stall.html

I dont know why its so hard for me to find a good bedding!!
The feed store was very nice in exchaning the longbeach shaving for the dry stall, so now I feel bad and stupid for going back a second time!:baghead:imstupid

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

I am leary of anything that says pine on the bag, esp since I have rats and they are more sensitive to respiratory illnesses than buns are. Any kind of wood bedding bugsmy allergiesanyway, I don't know why I just can't stand it. Ihave rescued several rats that were on pine and it felt like I was going to die, it was awful. So I use alpha dri and I put some shredded brown paper I get from office max in his pan toowilbur loves to play in it. I wish I could use woody pet or some other wood bedding, because I would save a load of money. The alpha dri I buy I get it in 20lb bags for around $35.

ratmom wrote:
I am leary of anything that says pine on the bag, esp since I have rats and they are more sensitive to respiratory illnesses than buns are. Any kind of wood bedding bugsmy allergiesanyway, I don't know why I just can't stand it. Ihave rescued several rats that were on pine and it felt like I was going to die, it was awful. So I use alpha dri and I put some shredded brown paper I get from office max in his pan toowilbur loves to play in it. I wish I could use woody pet or some other wood bedding, because I would save a load of money. The alpha dri I buy I get it in 20lb bags for around $35.
I've used Woody Pet for quite a while for my rabbits and hamsters.

Here's some info from their website:

[font="Futura, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]BEST BEDDING BECAUSE IT IS SAFE[/font]

[font="Futura, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Woody Pet Professional Animal Bedding is the Best NON-TOXIC alternative for wood shavings because there are no Dangerous Hydrocarbons like there are in pine and cedar wood shavings.[/font]

[font="Futura, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]THE BEST PRODUCT[/font]

[font="Futura, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Raw White Soft Wood Shavings and Sawdust undergoes extreme processing which extracts most of the resins, oils, tars, acids and water from the wood fiber. Exiting the milling process the product is completely sterile in granulated form and has become an extreme absorbent. Looks like, but does not taste like Granola. We have eliminated the Dangerous Aromatic Hydrocarbons . There are NO ADDITIVES of any kind in this product, it is 100% Biodegradable Sterile Wood Fiber.[/font]

Oops..I just realized that I didn't post the website correctly, and instead gave the impression that I used plain Dry Stall...

The website Pet_Bunny posted is the correct one. :)

That would be: http://www.drystall.com/best_pine.html

Hehe...what a dork...how I didn't notice my error, I don't know. LOL!!

bbgrl20 wrote:
I noticed that it did have a pine smell when getting out of the car. So I guess its back to the feed store to get something else

Woody Pet has a "woodsie" smell to it. Not really pine, but definately an outdoorsie/woodsie/natural aroma.
:)

Latest posts

Back