Best litter for rabbit with sore hocks?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apollo’s Slave

Reaction score
Apollo is suffering with a little bit of sore hocks, the vet says at this stage they can’t do anything about it but they did give some metacam a few weeks ago to help with them. I’m no longer using metacam but I do still have it.

I was cleaning Apollo’s litter box just now and he hopped into the litter box while there was only the wood litter in it and he quickly hopped out as if it had hurt him. It wasn’t the first time he had done it in the past few days but it seemed like the fastest reaction.

I know that I should probably get a soften litter, maybe to put on top of the wood litter. I was thinking a litter such as carefresh or a paper bedding of the sort. Carefresh is very expensive for quite small bags, so I was wondering if there was a cheaper or homemade alternative?

Thank you in advance 🥰

Yes, I always cover the wood pellets with hay. They have their hay rack there, so it gets constantly more. For a quick clean up I roll that hay'n'poop mat up now and then, replace the little soiled wood pellets, and put new hay (old or wasted but dry) on. What also helped my buck was to cover all hard floors in the house with cardboard and rugs.

Remy has sore hocks too and I’ve tried everything to get rid of them. I cover his wood pellets with the off-brand carefresh since it’s a bit cheaper. I’ve also heard that if you wet the pellets before. They soften and expand. Maybe try that?

Yes, I always cover the wood pellets with hay. They have their hay rack there, so it gets constantly more. For a quick clean up I roll that hay'n'poop mat up now and then, replace the little soiled wood pellets, and put new hay (old or wasted but dry) on. What also helped my buck was to cover all hard floors in the house with cardboard and rugs.
Thank you! I’ll be sure to cover the litterbox with hay all around. I honestly probably should’ve done that in the first place 😅
I’ll definitely be getting a rug (as soon as ikea or any store of the sort opens up again).

Remy has sore hocks too and I’ve tried everything to get rid of them. I cover his wood pellets with the off-brand carefresh since it’s a bit cheaper. I’ve also heard that if you wet the pellets before. They soften and expand. Maybe try that?
Thank you! I’ll probably buy a small bag of paper bedding and see how that works for him. I hope Remy’s hocks get better!

You can also add a little bit of water to the pine pellets and it will make them expand into sawdust. It will be way softer on his paws.

I switched to Fitch paper bedding for this reason (after using wood or straw pellets for years). Very soft and comes in big bales which last a long time. I pick up droppings and wet litter twice a day, add a bit of litter when necessary. Dump litter trays once a week.

I switched to Fitch paper bedding for this reason (after using wood or straw pellets for years). Very soft and comes in big bales which last a long time. I pick up droppings and wet litter twice a day, add a bit of litter when necessary. Dump litter trays once a week.
Thank you! I just googled it and a 10kg bag for £23 came up! I’ll definitely have to play around with a few litters and see which works Apollo and I.
Do you use the Fitch beddings in its own? If so, how does it work with absorption and smells?

Thank you! I just googled it and a 10kg bag for £23 came up! I’ll definitely have to play around with a few litters and see which works Apollo and I.
Do you use the Fitch beddings in its own? If so, how does it work with absorption and smells?
Don't get the 10kg, get the 20kg, much better value. And buy directly from Fitch: Fitch First - Pet Bedding Yes, I only use Fitch and I put hay at the front of the tray. My BB is a lady, she doesn't toilet on her food :) I'm pleased with the Fitch, been using it for a few years now. No smell but as I said I pick up twice a day.

Don't get the 10kg, get the 20kg, much better value. And buy directly from Fitch: Fitch First - Pet Bedding Yes, I only use Fitch and I put hay at the front of the tray. My BB is a lady, she doesn't toilet on her food :) I'm pleased with the Fitch, been using it for a few years now. No smell but as I said I pick up twice a day.
Ah okay, thank you! I’ll try Fitch out 😁

Latest posts

Back