Best advice on picking out the right bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharky1

Reaction score
I will likely get my bunny thursday or bunnies...

One does a bunny pick you like a dog or cat???

Is it a good idea to think about a mildly handicapped for a first bunny??

what to look for to ensure bunnys are healthy

all will be holland lops with good pedegrees thou I will get them "fixed"

When you pick out a bunny, it is good to have a wonderful feeling in your heart! Normally, a bunny will pick YOU :).

You will definitely know when a certain rabbit(s) is right for you :biggrin2:.

What do you mean by a mildly handicapped bunny? For a healthy bunny, look for alertness, clear eyes and nose, and be sure to hold the bunny and check it's body over for anything that isn't normal. Don't forget to check to be sure that the teeth are healthy looking.

Check out the Health References here on the forum:
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_forum.php?id=10

Good luck :clover:!

"Is it a good idea to think about a mildly handicapped for a first bunny??"

Personally, I would say no. First of all, because it is your first bunny, you will be learning many things. It's really good to have some experience when dealing with a special needs bunny. Things like proper handling, finding the right vet, right diet, etc. are things which are good to know before you get into such a situation.

Also, sometimes, a mild disability can become much more serious. It can be demanding physically, financially, but more importanly emotionally. I would really like for your first experience to be a good one.

I had a great bunny, she was just like a dog. I had gotten her for my mom and was a great pet. She had malocclusion (misaligned teeth) and though usually quite minor, her case got much more severe and she ended up dying from an abcess. My mother was traumatized and has never wanted another since though she had loved it terribly.

Now, I am not saying that all bunnies with disabilities die. No no. There are many members here who have dealt with special needs and they can tell you how rewarding it is.

But like I said, personally, though I commend your willingness to care for such a bun, I think you should learn with a healthy one first. And then, if you love bunnies as much as you thought and still feel the same about a special needs, it would be great if you adopted one.

I admit, I picked Nilla because of his markings. And I picked Lumi because 1. Nilla was thought to be a girl, so I had to pick another girl. 2. She was basically the only other girl, rest were boys lol. (I got them at the animal shelter)

Edit : Don't think I regret it a bit though. Love them both to bits! Only had them for 3 weeks so far but it seems like I've loved them forever...then I realize the amount of money I spent on them in only 3 weeks and my face goes :shock:

I picked my first bunny for her temperament. She was young (about 8-12 weeks) and allowed me to hold her forever. Then I got her home and she showed her true colors. Once she could run free, she didn't want to snuggle any more. Then she went through her terrible teen years where she chewed everything and bit my feet when I was in her way.

But...things have come full circle. She is now almost 5 and is a calm, snuggly bun. I wouldn't trade her for the world.

So if you are getting a young bunny, be prepared for him/her to go through different personality phases during its life.

Good luck!

Hello,

Harvey and Sam areour first bunnies. We've had them for about 2 months now. We adopted them from a shelter where I know the folks pretty well now (we've adopted our other pets from them as well). I talked with one of the admins there in depth before I was ready for bunnies. She helped me find the perfect two for us. She did a great job. We love our new bunnies dearly.

If you have the ability to work with someone to find the perfect bunny for you, or also have the option to visit a few, that would be great.

I agree that perhaps a disabled bunny might not be the best idea for your first. I have other witto old/disabled pets and they really do take a lot of work and emotionally drain you at times.

Best wishes on finding your bunny.

For your first bunny, I wouldn't go for anything with a disability. My second bun ended up getting head tilt, and although he's much better now, he still has issues which require a keen and active eye. Bunnies don't throw up and it's hard for most people, especially someone with a rabbit for the first time, to recognize signs of illness and pain. A disabled bunny also incures a lot of vet bills. The meds for my bunnie's headtilt alone was $90, plus $50 to bring him in...and that is considered a cheap bill for when they're sick!

Look for a bunny who is active, no matted fur, clean ears and nose. Also feel it's body (softly) for any bumps that could later be a problem. Otherwise, I agree with Amy. Drizzle choose me! There were 10 bunnies in a pen and I couldn't choose. So,I asked in front of the bunny pen "Quick, someone do something cute!" and Drizzle threw himself on the side and blopped down! So, I snatched that one right away and he's just the best!

Good luck on your search and let us know how it goes! :)

I would highly recommend doing a lot of research at http://www.rabbit.org/before you pick up the rabbit. 1) You'll know health wise what to look for (2) You'll know what kind of habitat and toys to get (3) you'll be able to pick out the most appropriate food for it's age

thank you ...

The handicap is a back leg that is damaged ... he "thumps as he hops...

The bunnies I will be seeing are 8-18 months ...:)

thank you off to read some more :0

Everything that I would say has already been said, but I have to give you credit for actually doing some research first. :)

Pick the rabbit that you like. The one that you think has the personality that you most get along with. If they are Holland Lops with pedigrees then the breeder would not sell or give you a sick rabbit, I have heard of breeders who would do something like that but I have never had that experience. Always look for any discharge around the nose and eyes - that is never good, then just pet the rabbit to see if you feel anything wrong. Some rabbits get sick, some are sick when you get them, you can't always tell by just looking and petting. It is just a chance you have to take - but like I say if this is a breeder they wouldn't sell you a sick animal.

About handicap rabbits, everyone seems to say no-no to that. I say if you like the rabbit and nothing is wrong except the leg problem, then you get it. I myself have two handicap rabbits - one only has 3 legs after a dog tore one off, the other is missing both her ears after her mom chewed them off when she was a baby, in fact the mom took all the babies ears off and no one would give the babies a home because of it, no one likes a rabbit with no ears, but she was too sweet to turn down. These rabbits do not cost me anymore than any other rabbit would. They are fine and have no special needs they are just different.

Good Luck on picking out a rabbit or rabbits that fit you. I hope you have a great time with them.

Elizabeth

My suggestion would be the same as others...pick the one you are drawn to...personality is so important. Color variations in rabbits are nice, but sometimes you can get a gorgeous bunny yet you just don't 'click' with their personality, while another rabbit who wouldn't stand out to you (so far as outer looks) might just be your *heartbunny*. As for a handicapped rabbit, I'd suggest you look into that particular bunny's needs. Can he get around okay? What would longterm prognosis be (in other words, would arthritis or some other debilitating condition set in down the road)? Do you think you would be able and willing to care for a disabled rabbit if it should ever come to that? Of course, this question should really be asked by anyone looking to purchase a rabbit (or any other animal) for a pet anyway, since we don't know what the future holds...but there is a higher risk of becoming an owner of a special needs bunny (one who needs extra, extended care) with a rabbit who does have a deformity or problem, esp. involving legs. The answer to your question can only come from you. :)

One last thing...while I would say that most breeders out there are genuinely responsible and caring, and would not purposefully sell a sick or *off*bunny, there arethe odd fewwho will. It has happened to me acouple oftimes in the past - many years ago I was sold a trio of rabbits who all had snuffles...I didn't see evidence of it until I got them home - apparently the hour's transport stressed them enough to have it appear; and Raph, my special needs bunny (purchased online) was sold to me with no disclosure of his deformities. When questioned,the breedersaid she knew nothing about it - that he wasn't that way when she had him - yet the moment I got him I could see something was wrong. The girl with the sick bunnies - I should have known better. She refused to let me see her rabbitry; she had the ones she was selling me outside the barn so we wouldn't have to walk in and see the rabbits' living conditions (and most likely, more sick rabbits). My point in all this: Just check out the bunnies yourself and look for any signs of stress or illness, underconditioned rabbits, etc. A good breeder should let you view their stock. They may or may not let you handle them, but they shouldn't (imo) prevent you from seeing how they run things. That's a red flag to me. I'm sure you won't have any problems, as I said...I believe the majority of breeders are extremely responsible and the welfare of their rabbits (as well as their reputation for being good breeders) come first and foremost.

And of course, most important of all: You shall have to post pics here when you do get your bunny! ;)

Back