Benny's loosing weight

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunBun Mom

Reaction score
It's been 7 days and he still won't eat thepellets. He's eating hay, veggies, 1 treatand drinking buthas lost 1/2 lb. He was a wee bit plump before so it's not a bad weightloss but how long can he really go on just hay, veggies and water?

I thought about buying a bag of his old stuff and mixing someinbut I know what he's going to do....pick it out and eat itonly. Is there anythingelsethat I could add to thepellets to maybe get him to eat it?

did you do half and half at least before you gavehim only new ones? you really should do a mix for awhile then graduallymove to all of the new stuff.. better on their tummies.. :)

Oh, he is a stubborn one, isn't he??

I would buy the old stuff and mix it in and then just leave the newstuff until he eats that....what was the old stuff? What'sthe new stuff?

Maybe....maybe....maybe I'll come up with something else, but that's the best I've got right now.

Jen

from vets i've spoken to, the best thing you cando is get them off of pellets and give them real food like theirchoosing. most likely they just got sick of the pellet diet. when youwere feeding them that, were you sure to alternate the different typesof pellet foods? feeding them the same thing every day will causeanyone to get sick and tired of it :p

also, the weight loss isn't a bad thing, the buns should be fit ratherthan plump even though a lot of people like to see plump buns. as longas he's eating then it should be fine, just be sure to make sure it'sgetting the necessary vitamins and non-soluble fiber. celery is a goodway to get that in the diet.

i wouldnt really cut back on the hay because itoffers fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals. the best things you canfeed your bun are actually fresh veggies and hay with some ocassionalfruits.

I don't mind the weight loss b/c he needed it toloose a tad bit but he doesn't need to loose any more. Just after a 1/2lb, I can feel his shoulder blades very well!! He's a French Lop. So ,he's a big boy to begin with.

Yes, I mixed his food his food everytime I've tried to switchhim. This time iswas almost 2 weeks and slowly weaned the oldstuff out--It was the Kaytee Fiesta and all he ate was the coloredchuncks and this seed looking stuff that's in it.The newstuff is Purina. He also gets fresh hay and veggies everyday. Fruitmaybe once or twice a week.

This may sound silly ok. Can you buy abag of the old stuff and filter out the junk from the pellets. It willsmell like the old but be all the good stuff and you can mix it halfPurina and half of the old.

Try cutting out his treat too. And maybe limit his veggies to half the normal serving he gets.

It's the only thing I can think of at the moment. Have youtried giving him some Nutrical? I gave some to Apollo when he had hisaccident. I noticed that for two days that boy of mine was a bottomlesspit. We were constantly filling his hay and pellets.

What a stubborn little man. Keep us posted.

Tina

Back