Benny passed away

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benny_08

Reaction score
I took Benny in to have his op today feeling very guilty about doing it!

Then the vet called me an hour ago and told me he'd passed away after his pre op medication was given!! She said she's never seen this happen before.

I can't believe it!!

There was this loud barking dog sat next to us in the waiting room and we had to wait for 20mins with nowhere else to sit! I was stroking Benny through his cage to keep him calm but do you think this could have been the cause!!

I can't think what else could have caused it and the vets didn't give me anymore information.

I'm devastated and have no idea what to do now...

Should I question the vets more about what happened?

He was only 6 months old...I just knew I shouldn't haven't got it done! 😢😢

We're so sorry for your loss. I don't think anyone did anything wrong, but one in 10,000 with humans is the hospital average so no idea what it might be with bunnies. We've had several make it past 15 years and a few that were healthy to us, but didn't make it to 4. It just happens. All the advice I can impart after dealing with this for more than a decade is to remember the good times, no matter how brief and hang onto them. I lost Nik-Nik at 6 months and Coal at almost 16 and they both hurt my heart the same.

He very likely could have had something underlying that you never would have seen. Animals and humans can die for any number of reasons with absolutely no warning.
There is nothing wrong with getting your animal spayed or neutered like a responsible pet parent. You dont know when their going to throw a clot or have an aneurysm. Maybe his organs werent built to handle the meds. Just like humans some animals have issues internally except they cant tell us until something happens because of it. Getting a neceopsy done might answer some questions but theres no guarantee. Ask the vet for answers but do not blame the vet.

I definitely don't blame the vet. They were very good about the whole thing when I finally plucked up the courage and went to see them. They let me see him and have a couple of minutes to say goodbye.

She said she still doesn't know why it happened. They went back over the notes and double checked everything and it was all correct. Sadly, just one of those things. I'm kicking myself for not listening to my instincts about taking him in the first place but I know that isn't going to change anything and it will just make me more upset so trying not to think like that.

My 4 year old keeps telling me he misses Benny 😢😢 but then says, let's get another rabbit !

I'm sorry for your loss and having been on the veterinary side when an unexpected loss occurs, I can assure you that your vet likely feels just as bad as you do about this unfortunate death.
Having your rabbit neutered was definitely not a wrong decision and most would assume that a 6 month old was healthy enough to handle it but perhaps there was an underlying condition you didn't know about (and may never know about if you choose not to have a necropsy performed).
If/when you're ready to fill that hole, you might consider adopting a rabbit that has already been spayed or neutered so you don't have to worry about making that decision.

I'm so very sorry that you lost Benny, such a tragic thing to have happen.

Back