Bennett's nose is a little crusty

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmilytheStrange

Reaction score
I was snuggling with my floppy Bennett, kissing his face, when I noticed the upper corners of his nose are a little crusty like he had slight discharge at some point. I did hear him sneeze once today and have been keeping an eye on him. His nose seemed a little wetter than normal at one point but I couldn't have said it was discharge, didn't see anything thick, like boogers or strange in color.
He's been in a good mood today. I swear he and Fiona are bunny barometers. It was pleasantly cool and rainy and they've both been pretty frisky. Bennett is hanging out on the top of his bunny condo, flopping, giving me kisses, eating and drinking well. Somebunny had stringy poop but I think it was Fiona.
Well, short story long, Bennett has 8 days left (out of 20) on his Baytril. Tomorrow I will try to get in to see the vet and print Randy's suggestions on that shot and the teeth thing to take with me. I just want to get to the bottom of what's with him.
I know pasturella can go into remission and sometimes the bun has to be on antibiotics for a while. I just get worried. I hate that he's gotta deal with this right now.

P.S. - Bennett's eye isn't watering anymore but it still has a little white spot on the inside of the upper eye lid. I hope it goes away in 8 days! If not, then what?

If you take to the vet some of the issues that randy addressed it's possible the vet will listen to you :pray:possibly extend the antibiotics therapy or changethe meds altogether.
will hope for the best/

We are back from the vet. It wasn't Benny's usual vet but she gave him a good check all over and his lungs are clear, he just had a little bit of a runny nose due to the pasturella. His eyes are looking lots better though. She said so long as his nose doesn't get worse, his energy level is good and his appetite is good, to just stay on the rest of the baytril until his recheck with his usual vet (Dr. Blaes) next Friday. I asked her to do a culture on his nose but they didn't have the swabs in today so we'll do that next week too. Oh RANDY, she did check his teeth and they are looking good but she did notice some minor points on one side. Even if it's minior, with his pasturella issues, it's probably better to nip it in the bud and get them filed (once he's over this episode) so hopefully it will keep from aggravating his problem. Thanks for that suggestion, I'm glad I'm aware of it now; it seemed to pay off.
Also asked her about the zithro and cephalosporin. she said the zithro tends tp be expensive and she'd be worried the cephalo would put him off his food due to the strength. But she's going to research it herself to learn more. Of course, I'm going to bring it up with the regular vet as well next week during our recheck depending on how things go.
I think this has been a pretty minor episode, at least that's what Dr. Blaes tells me. But I admit, ever since I've heard the word pasturella, I've been sensitive to everything and on high alert, probably being a smothering bunny momma. I know there's no cure, I just want to get his symptoms under control. But he's still a happy guy...perky, usual male appetite and in love with his wifey-bun. That's the most important thing to me, that they're enjoying life.

Sounds good that you did find the points on the teeth and can take care of that soon..also if the vet showed some interest in zithromax and cepahosporins that is better than a "no " I won't use it ;)

Im glad to hear he's doing ok. Keep an eye on those teeth- a runny nose was the first sign when my Max started developing issues due to a tooth root abscess. They are such sensitive little buggers it seems like the slightest thing being off can have an affect on other part of their anatomy. I think having them filed now is probably a good idea.

Id see how he does once he finishes up the Baytril. Keep us posted!

Did he have a lump near his mouth, is that how you first discovered it? Another good thing to be aware of. I will pass it on to my vet as well.

Haley wrote:
issues due to a tooth root abscess.

Interesting. Couple of points here. A visual of the teeth is not sufficient in my non-professional opinion. If it were me, I would do a couple of x-rays as it's the roots that are of concern. For the most part, it's hard to get a good visual on all the molars but rads are required for the roots. Root impaction is usually the "root" cause of mandibular abscesses. And it is always easier to treat them earlier rather than later.

Zithromax is sorta pricey. But if you factor in the cost of multiple vet visits along with Baytril (which is not really a cheap drug) then the costs are much more reasonable. And since Baytril doesn't pack the punch it once did....I would disucss another line of treatment...and possibly doing a culture to see what is there. Using a drug that doesn't work wastes money and causes additional issues with the animal. Zithromax seems to be the drug of choice of most top level rabbit vets. I have used Zithromax in rabbits for many years. I have not seen any signs of losing the appetite on Convenia (the cephalosporin) as it is not safe as an oral drug. It is safe only as an injectable and should have minimal, if any, effect on eating. Baytril certainly does as well as causing some flora loss when given orally. And Zithromax does sometimes lead to a day or so of minor GI issues and mild appetite suppression. I usually offset the appetite issueby giving a little shot of B Comp.

I would get those spurs floated to prevent issues down the road. Make sure you are offering unlimited hay as that is the primary way to keep them down. This procedure will require sedation so a good visual can be performed andI would expect the doctor to closely check the occlusion of the offending teeth. I would also ask for some mild pain relief. The teeth most likely won't hurt but those muscles around that very small mouth will.

Randy

She didn't say anything about a root absess, just that there is a minor point, and I haven't noticed any lumps near his mouth. But I think I would probably feel better with an xray and possibly a culture (especially since the culture could take a while to get results).
The vet quoted me about $50-$80 for the zithro which isn't as bad as I thought it would be but she mentioned a couple of rounds. Bennett is definitely worth it and it is doable, but finances are still a bit of a concern with a new baby on the way and no full time job yet. Hopefully my husband would be willing to help me out.
What about NutriCal between now and then? Does anyone have any real experience that it helps the immune system?
Well I have 3 posts printed up now (re: tooth absesses and meds) to show Dr. Blaes. It feels reassuring to have all this info and research. Thanks for everybody's input and ideas!

I am not a fan of Nutri Cal...not against it by any means as it can be a valuable tool but if it gets to where you have to force feed or look for additional nutrition.....Oxbow's Critical Care (one of the only products I use from them) is great. It is a complete food with lots of beneficial supplements. Can take some work to get the knack of feeding it. And it takes a lot of fluid to properly mix. Some high calorie foods if Bennett needs a little boost are alfalfa hay, dandelions and kale (in moderation of course). As far as the Critical Care, we have had rabbits literally live on that stuff for months at a time.

While it might not be an abscess, it is impossible to see or feel an abscess in it's earyl stages. In fact, it takes a talented vet to see possible soft tissue issues on x-rays. If it is an abscess, the primary area of concerns are where you see molar roots crossed....an impaction. The molars will look odd on rads since they are curved so you have to be able to view and interpret the rads by some visualization.

That is a very good price for the Zithromax. I am really high on Convenia (a cephalosporin)and I think with time that it will be considered the new "wonder drug". I would encourage your doctor to explore it's use...or at least do some research to learn more about it's use in rabbits. I am using it right now in a caught by cat cottontail rabbit that weighs about 50g. There are pronounced teeth marks on this rabbit. So far, I have seen no evidence of any infection...and we would have seen it by now if there was going to be one. I plan on testing this drug on squirrels and opposums too. It's safe only as an injectable so it shouldn't have much effect on the appetite.....works much like penicillin just with a bit different coverage and style of attack. Chloramphenicol is another possibility but there are some concernsfor the humans that come in contact with this drug....but it's great with rabbits.

Just wondering...how far are you from the Charlotte, NC area. I personally know one of the best rabbit vets in the country that practices just north of Charlotte. She has treated several of our rabbits and I have been very impressed by her skills. Just a possibility for a second opinion from a skilled doctor.

Keep us posted.

Randy

"While it might not be an abscess, it is impossible to see or feel an abscess in it's earyl stages. In fact, it takes a talented vet to see possible soft tissue issues on x-rays."

Then I'm set. Dr. (Kevin) Blaes (if you'd like to google him) is widely recognized as one of the most talented bunny vet in SC.

"Just wondering...how far are you from the Charlotte, NC area. I personally know one of the best rabbit vets in the country that practices just north of Charlotte. She has treated several of our rabbits and I have been very impressed by her skills. Just a possibility for a second opinion from a skilled doctor"

Thanks but Dr. Blaes has been treating Bennett and Fiona with great success for 5 years now. He's the only person that knows my bunnies as well as I do. If I can't trust him as my vet, then there's no vet I can trust.

Latest posts

Back