Benefit and harm of neutering???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thumper110814

Reaction score
I have reschedule my male bunny
neutering a couple times now. I feel that I'm not very informed about the benefits and harms to the surgery. Please tell me about your experience/knowledge of it! Thanks!

All of my rabbits were already spayed/neutered since I got them at rabbit rescues. Rabbit rescues routinely fix all of their rabbits. They do this not only to control breeding, but also for the general health and behavior of their rabbits. Such surgery performed by a rabbit savvy vet has very little risk. The benefits outweigh the risks easily.

But there is a more informative article on the House Rabbit Society's page. Click here to be directed. (This site sometimes jumps to the FAQ section. If it does, then just click on the blue letters on the left column that say "spaying and neutering.") That should provide more answers for you.

I had Joey neutered shortly after getting him. The vet who altered him was not rabbit-savvy but everything went fine (even though he was a single bun, I had it done for the health benefits). However, I would strongly recommend having it done by a rabbit-savvy vet just to avoid any complications -- as stated by blue eyes, the risk is a lot lower and your peace of mind will be assured.

Neutering is more for behavioral issues than health concern. Some bucks are really dirty as adults and spray or mount everything they come in contact with. Other bucks are clean as can be and this isn't a concern. I don't recommend neutering unless you're experiencing behavioral issues or if you're a multiple-pet household.

That is my concern! He does not have many behavioral issues (some droppings here and there outside of his litter box) and is very social and affectionate toward us. We don't have any other pets but him! I worry if he has to go through this traumatic surgery experience and has to stay in his cage for a week when he is usually free running at home.

If your rabbit is fine with his litter habits and his behavior, and he will always be a single bunny, then there is no pressing reason to have him neutered.

Neuter surgery, nevertheless, carries very little risk, (as I was explaining earlier) so that shouldn't be a factor in your decision. If you simply don't see a need to have him neutered, that is enough reason to skip it.

Latest posts

Back