Bella's Story

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjpeter

Jenn
Reaction score
I know that this probably belongs in the rescue section, but I thought I'd put it here so more people may come across it while they are lurking on the boards while looking to find their first rabbit.

A few months ago, I decided to add a pet to the family. I'm terribly allergic to cats, and it's so cold here in WI that I would be terrible getting a dog out for enough walks everyday. So, we eventually decided on a rabbit. My sons (ages 15, 13 and 10) and my husband and I were excited, so we started looking over the web for nearby rabbit breeders. Now there is nothing in this world cuter than a baby rabbit, so we decided to contact a few and get on waiting lists. While we were waiting for the babies to age to 8 weeks, I began to lurk on some forums. I learned how important it was to spay/neuter rabbits, the actual amount of space required (vs the small cages at the pet store), how important the diet was versus a dish of pellets....etc. I also learned how difficult it can be to start with a baby rabbit considering you have to go through a hormonal change, and you can't really determine an adult personality from how friendly or gentle a baby is. We have close friends that bought an adorable, cuddly baby from a pet store, and ended up with a biting adult and refused to spay because it cost too much. We didn't want to make the same mistakes.

I had feared that going to a rescue would inhibit us from from forming a close bond with a bun since we would not be starting from a baby, but learned that this is not true. So, I started looking at local rescues. I already have enough teenagers at home. :) Anyway, a couple of weeks later, we came home with Bella, an 8 month old spayed female Dutch rabbit. She's a dream. She has immaculate litter habits so I've never had to train her, she loves being petted and held, and she's inquisitive and a joy to watch. In her former home she wasn't allowed out of cage time, so it's great to watch her explore her NIC condo and the house. She came spayed since she was in a rescue, and we payed a grand total of $30, rather than having to pay hundreds down the road. Now, we would have paid to neuter, but it's nice to save the money for other vet issues we may have down the road.

Anyway, I just wanted to share our story and how wonderfully rescue has worked for us. I think for first time owners who are novices with rabbits that it really makes a lot of sense to find a compatible adult so you can be more confident of the temperament that you are going to have for many years to come. Babies are adorable, but they only stay babies for so long. Plus, you don't need to worry about spaying and neutering (the cost or the slight risk to the rabbit.) I've found many stories regarding impulsive buys of baby rabbits that are looking to be rehomed down the road.

I'll get off my soap box now, but I just wanted to share our thought process as new owners and how wonderfully our girl worked for us. Again, it's important to stress that there are a lot of people who go through breeders or pet stores and do wonderfully with their buns, but I just wanted to share the success and simplicity of our rescue of Bella.

Now I can't get the thought of another out of my head....are rabbits like potato chips??:p We might take Bella to the rescue down the road to start "dating."

Thanks for reading...

I agree that rescues are great places to find rabbits. Our third rabbit is from a rescue and yes, rabbits are like potato chips, you might just want a whole bag! I keep looking at PetFinder even though I know I am at capacity with three!

lol Love your post! I couldn't agree more! So glad Bella now has a wonderful family who loves her & will soon be chaperoning her on bunny dates! Wishing you all well as Bella goes in search of Mr. Right-Rabbit! lol

What a wonderful story! I am glad that you have found such success with Bella! I have both a petstore bunny, and a rescued, and I have found my rescue to be more lovey than my petstore bun. I've had him since he was a lovey little baby. he's getting better now, but by golly he was a bum!

I am glad you have had such a wonderful experience with your local rescue, and I am eager to hear as to whether or not you purchase a boyfriend or girlfriend for her! :)

Cheers for now!

Congrats on your new bun Bella!!
bunnyheart.gif
Rescues are awesome..My bun Stewie is a rescue that i just got 6 weeks ago and he is awesome.He doesn't want to leave my side he has decided that this is home and that is that,I am glad you are having a easy time with her settling in.

Look forward to seeing pics and getting to know you and Bella

lol Love your post! I couldn't agree more! So glad Bella now has a wonderful family who loves her & will soon be chaperoning her on bunny dates! Wishing you all well as Bella goes in search of Mr. Right-Rabbit! lol

It sounds funny, doesn't it? They'll hold a rabbit for you and you can have some "dates" with it on neutral territory until you decide that it will or won't work out. I don't know who I'm kidding...I think it's just a matter of time.

In a year or two I'm hoping to get Bandit a girlfriend, and she will definitely be a rescue rabbit. It means they'll be able to have bunny dates as well before I decide on which one to get :) But I'm also really looking forward to helping out the rescue. As they're solely a rabbit rescue, but they get in far more bunnies than you would ever expect, and they simply can't keep up. So it will be nice to help them out too and show my support.

In a year or two I'm hoping to get Bandit a girlfriend, and she will definitely be a rescue rabbit. It means they'll be able to have bunny dates as well before I decide on which one to get :) But I'm also really looking forward to helping out the rescue. As they're solely a rabbit rescue, but they get in far more bunnies than you would ever expect, and they simply can't keep up. So it will be nice to help them out too and show my support.

There is a rescue, I wouldn't say local for me, it's about 1.5 hours way, 2 in traffic, but I will be volunteering on Saturday, and bringing 2 buns from the private local rescue I volunteer for. After being in contact with the people at Rabitat (in Richmond) and even seeing the ones at A.R.C (Chilliwack) it's just incredible! So many people purchase rabbits on impulse, and never realize how long they can live for! I have heard so many stories of "oh my daughter grew up" or "my son just doesn't care anymore"...like it's frustrating! You did not purchase this lovely animal for the duration of relevance, you purchased them for the duration of their life, sometimes 8+ years! Why is that not thought about? Good on you for adopting and rescuing, I will certainly be doing the same in the future. I am looking specifically for a Netherland Dwarf (or one that carries some of that breed in it) but I will definitely wait until one comes to the rescue. (Unless I accidentally fall in love with one or two before my Nethie becomes available...which is most likely what'll happen LOL.)

Sorry to steal the thread! I just really think people who aren't so passionate about their pets should purchase hamsters or rats for their kids...shorter lifespan = no time for them to experience neglect, only love! My parents would only buy me hamsters until I was 17 and capable of making the promise that any and all pets would be coming with me, unless they were pets that my parents wanted, and were willing to keep and care for when I leave!

Mine are rescues as well. I traveled quite far too get them after finding Bugsy on petfinder. I only intended to get him. Then, the rescue asked if I wanted Groucho too. They put them together and they bonded immediately, so I ended up with two. If I had space, i would have more, I'm sure.

Back