Being so hormonal and losing interest in eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunny parents

Reaction score
My Mini Lop girl named Kimiko. She got spayed on 27th October 2010. Now she's 10 months old. Everything was fine after the operation, until now...

She has become more hormonal. It's been weeks since she first stared doing so, 2 weeks almost 3. She courts and honks, mostly to my husband. Now it's getting worse 'cause she doesn't seems to eat or drink much. Normally I have to fill up her hay for several times per day, but now she barely touches it. :( it worries me a lot 'cause I don't know what to do. :(

Her behaviour now is the same as before she got spayed. First week it was just courting and circling around us a bit, but she still ate and drank and had her own "bunny time" ( yes, she used to be quite an independent girl ). All I can think of the word to explain her behaviour is that it seems like she's been obsessing with us :expressionless I know it might sound weird, but it really is. She won't go anywhere else, but following us whole day long ( even it's her sleeping time ), I can say she will follow us until we put her in the cage during night time. She seems to be exhausted and that scares me a lot. I don't want her to be sick :tears2: Oh she even starts marking her territory again. Such behaviours stopped about couple weeks after the spaying. So what she acts now bothers me a lot.

I've been trying to urge her to eat more hay, but it doesn't work well. I tried giving her pumpkin, she refused to eat it ( she doesn't like it ). I gave her pumpkin purée. I read that it can be teeth problem if bunny stops eating hay, but I gave her apple twig or dandelion roots for chewing and she still chews on them from time to time. So for now, I don't think it's tooth problem. She doesn't seem to be sick or anything, just obsessing with us... :(

Is there anything else I can give her to increase the amount of fibre she gets ? we've just moved to this city for a while and now I still cannot find a savy vet here for her. Today my husband and I need to go out to buy some more supplies and we will search for the vet, just in case. :( I'm so scared now. All I want is her being healthy and eating and drinking normally. She can courting us as long as she wants, but not like this. This is too much.

Any suggestions ? Thank you so much for your time.

Might be because you all have moved and it's stressing her out still. How long ago was that? If its fairly recent she just might need a few days to adjust. Everything new around her might be making her nervous. Could explain why she's following you a lot.

We've had a few act up after a move so that could be part of it. Bonnie, a little Dutchie used to follow me all over and do the courting behavior too. If Nancy came into the room when I was there, Bonnie would "screech" and attack her legs too. That was something we couldn't get her to stop doing.

Thank you guys so much for the replies. We've moved to new place since December and I'm quite sure that it's not about moving 'cause it's pretty quite some time already that we live here. Her behaviours are the same as before spaying. Luckily, we've found a vet who specialized for small animals and rabbits. Unfortunately, his clinic is quite far, but he gave us his emergency number, just in case we need to visit him during night time.
We will observe her couple days more, if nothing acts up, so it's just her " left over " hormones in her body. It might takes time for her hormone to cool down ( it may take longer time than we thought :-/ ).
Last night when we got back home, I checked in her cage and she ate some hay and pellets. Also today it seems like she has more appetite and doesn't follow us like a shadow :D I'm hoping that it is slowly passing. Phewwwwww, I was soooo freaked out. I guess you guys can tell :p
Thank you so much again :) I will post if there's something new.
Hugs !

Back