Behaviour changes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svmax

Reaction score
My rabbit is now 6 months old and I am seeing several changes in his behaviour I need your help

first of all I would like to say that my rabbit has a cage where he can move/eat/sleep easily
50% time he is inside the cage and 50% percent is roaming freely in the house
so earlier he used to litter in the cage for example if he is playing around and he wants to Poop she will go to the cage and come back outside but now she does it anywhere in the mouse, not specifically in the corners but anywhere

My rabbit now keeps rubbing her chin on mu hands/legs his cage and almost every object, I know she is marking territories but now she keeps on doing it many, I mean 4-5 times on every object.
She use to hardly do it earlier.

When she is roaming freely in the house, she now sits below the chair for longer duration

She is not spayed

My rabbit is now 6 months old and I am seeing several changes in his behaviour I need your help

first of all I would like to say that my rabbit has a cage where he can move/eat/sleep easily
50% time he is inside the cage and 50% percent is roaming freely in the house
so earlier he used to litter in the cage for example if he is playing around and he wants to Poop she will go to the cage and come back outside but now she does it anywhere in the mouse, not specifically in the corners but anywhere

My rabbit now keeps rubbing her chin on mu hands/legs his cage and almost every object, I know she is marking territories but now she keeps on doing it many, I mean 4-5 times on every object.
She use to hardly do it earlier.

When she is roaming freely in the house, she now sits below the chair for longer duration

She is not spayed
If she isn't spayed, that's the problem. If you can, get her spayed as soon as you can.

Team,
Spay is very expensive here and I won't be able to do it as cannot afford
Please help for alternatives

That is the only way to alter hormonal behaviour - you can hope that it will improve once she is an adult and puberty isn’t a factor, but it rarely does. You can always try to set up a payment plan with your vet so that the cost isn’t in one lump sum?

Or any food item or may be I can divert her mind with toys

Team,
Spay is very expensive here and I won't be able to do it as cannot afford
Please help for alternatives
Hey, I feel your pain. I'm not against spaying at all, but I get where you are coming from about the cost. For what it's worth I just want you to know that you're not the only one on this forum who has this struggle. You'll be getting no judgement from this bunny momma.

Everyone on here is right though, spaying unfortunately is the only answer to changing those behaviours.. :/

Do you have a (letter)spca around you. Because the one near me charges $75 to spay
I don't know what svmax's area charges or has to offer, but I have called everywhere within a 100 mile radius of me and the nearest and cheapest location to me that spays costs between $275-$300 and an hour drive away. If something bad happens during the surgery and she dies, you can't get your money back. So not only will you have lost one of your best friends in the whole world, you'll also have given the people that messed up and killed her about $300. Most vets near me won't even spay just because they aren't common pets in my area. I felt blessed to find a couple locations that neuter male rabbits so at least I had options. It only costed $65 to neuter one of my male buns and he is doing great.

If you think spaying is expensive, think of the cost of treating uterine cancer, something that your bun is likely to develop if she is not spayed.

If you think spaying is expensive, think of the cost of treating uterine cancer, something that your bun is likely to develop if she is not spayed.
I'm sure it would be very expensive. Not everybody can afford to spend that much money and have to do the best they can to take care of their buns and give them a happy life within their means. Nobody will ever receive judgment from me about it. I can't imagine how hard it would be to be a kid or teenager who isn't old enough to work and has parents who don't believe in taking their pets to the vet at all because they are "just rabbits". Some people have spouses or live with family that disapprove of spending money at all to even do a checkup on their bunnies. Count yourself blessed if this isn't your situation. For a lot of people it is their reality and they just aren't allowed to spend that kind of money on a pet and it's not the owner's fault.

I personally think that if you are considering buying a pet, the cost of inevitable vet bills should be factored in. If you don’t think that those vet bills will be feasible financially, I personally wouldn’t get a pet I couldn’t afford to keep healthy. I also don’t think it is fair to refer to a vet as “the people that messed up and killed her”. Rabbits are delicate creatures and through no fault of the vet can suffer mortalities through anaesthetic. But the risk of that happening (by a rabbit savvy vet) are far lower than the risk of your entire female rabbit suffering uterine cancer. Many vets who are less savvy will not risk the surgery as, like you said, they are less common pets that vets learn far less about during their studies. Castrating is of course much cheaper as it is a minor surgery that doesn’t enter the abdominal cavity and takes far less time.

Latest posts

Back