Behavior Modification

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeltonB

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

If you've followed this thread:http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=10916&forum_id=1thenyou know about my bunny Bean and her falling problems. This occursmostly when her sister, Jelly, chases her.

I've tried to discourage Jelly from chasing Bean so she doesn't fall. Iam concerned that the chasing is more agressive than playing. Jellydarts at Bean without warning and grunts at her. She doesn't chase myother bunny, Poodsie (their dad) like this, only Bean.

I really need some advice on how I can communicate to Jelly not tochase Bean, whether she is playing or not. What I have triedis when this happens, immediately putting Jelly in the cage for 5minutes, then letting her back out. This has mixed results. One eveningit may go fine after her release from bunny jail, sometimes it has noeffect and she'll chase after Bean again and I repeat the incarcerationprocess.

Thanks,

Kelton

Some have tried the water gun.

You might even try some bonding techniques and reward her for goodbehavior. Perhaps put them side by side and pet them both. Try toencourage grooming.

Are they spayed? Getting them spayed should eliminate some of the territorial behaviour.

If Jelly is consistently aggresive, you may have to separate them however.

Here is a good bonding link: http://www.mybunnies.com/bonding.htm

I don't like to use their cage for punishment,as I don't want them to associate their cage with being bad.What I use is a sharp "No!" with a clap or a thump on thefloor. If they're being really bad or are ignoring me, Isquirt them with water.

Although if Jelly is acting aggressive you might want to separatethem. Some rabbits will pick on a sick friend, and this isprobably stressing Bean out.

Thanks for the replies.

Its very odd behavior. Jelly and Bean can be grooming each other oneminute, and Jelly's chasing Bean the next. Also, the agressive behavioronly occurs outside the cage. When they are in the cage, they willoften huddle next to each other.

I had heard about the water gun. I was wondering how accepted it was for discipline/training.

They have been together since birth (now 7 years old), and neither has been spayed.

Thanks again,

Kelton

Well that certainly sounds like my 2 bunniesbefore their spays. They were together since babies and loved eachother. On puberty they would sometimes be cuddling and grooming , andsometimes chasing, biting and grunting at each other. I tried the watergun, but it didnt really work so I got them both spayed. Not muchproblems since then.

I wouldnt suggest spaying arabbit at 7 years of age , it could bedangerouse to them. Certainly you dont want themfighting maybe sperate times out of thecage will be benificial at this stage .seems odd after 7 years now all of asudden it would be a territoriall issue . Which Idont think it is .

try differnt play times and see if the situation improves.

KeltonB wrote:
I had heard about the water gun. I was wondering how accepted it was for discipline/training.
The water gun is the best thing ever invented!

I use just a cheap squirt bottle that I use the spritz my plants (fromthe dollar store) and give him a quick spritz while saying "NO!"loudly. I only use it as a last resort if he just won'tlisten. Now, all I have to do is pick up the bottle and shakeit at him and he knows.

Latest posts

Back