Behavior change after spay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowballbun

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I posted under the general rabbit thread about being nervous that my bunny is getting spayed Friday. Please read that too if you don't mind. What I was wondering about behavior is...will she be less aggressive when I take her out of her cage (because she grunts, hits, and nips)..she only does that when I go to take her out. She is very sweet otherwise.

Also, she is very umm, sexual with me. She humps my arm all the time, rubs all over it, and licks me all the time. Oh, also the bunny love song hehe. Do you think this behavior will change too? I could stand to lose the humping lol but I love the bunny kisses.

Snowballbun wrote:
Hi everyone! I posted under the general rabbit thread about being nervous that my bunny is getting spayed Friday. Please read that too if you don't mind. What I was wondering about behavior is...will she be less aggressive when I take her out of her cage (because she grunts, hits, and nips)..she only does that when I go to take her out. She is very sweet otherwise.

Also, she is very umm, sexual with me. She humps my arm all the time, rubs all over it, and licks me all the time. Oh, also the bunny love song hehe. Do you think this behavior will change too? I could stand to lose the humping lol but I love the bunny kisses.
howdy,,rabbits are nearsighted,can see about 360*in green and blue color,,as you reach for her you are an intruder,,try letting get a whiff first--they have great noses.//.after a spay or neuter,,you asked if the rabbits demeaner would change-yes,,--there are no hormones for which to dance,,so this may tapper off,--then the licky licks should still be there,,and other needs.//.agression is for many reasons,,,this too should mellow out.//.these are good questions--the main purpose most people have a rabbit neutered or spay--in theory they live longer--medical problems like uteran cancer,,etc..become a non issue...sincerely james waller:halo

Her behavior should definitely settle down after the spay - just remember that it can take 4-6 weeks for the hormones to leave her system. She may actually get worse immediately after the spay (this is common, as the hormones are out of whack) but then she'll start to calm down. The territorial-ness and humping are both very hormone driven, and both should hopefully go away with time.

Latest posts

Back