Behavior change after medicine = getting better?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shmoo06

Reaction score
I haven't been here in a while, but I just had a very long night and feel like talking about it. lol.

I have two buns, Mumbles and Stitch. I took Mums to the vet last week(it'll be a week tomorrow) because he's been sneezing and has a runny nose. Stitch is fine. She gave me baytril to see if that helps. Sidenote: I was so proud of Mums. He was so good! I've been handling him more, and it's actually paying off.

Last night I had a really hard time sleeping because I have a runny/stuffy nose. lol. I woke up at like 4 am and realized Mumbles was all over Stitch humping him, and when Stitch would try to do it back Mums would bolt away. They were crazy loud. It's strange because Stitch is in general the more aggressive one, and he's the one that I see randomly humping. Could this be a sign that he's feeling better, or just a coincidence? I was up for about an hour and a half, and it was happening periodically the entire time. I've also noticed that his nose is running a little bit more than it was. Could that be the medicine flushing the gunk out? I've noticed less sneezing.

They are both 2 this month, both neutered, and have lived with each other for probably about a year and a half give or take.

The behavior could be from him being happier and feeling better. Hard to know for sure.

Less sneezing, and secretions running out and not stuffing up the nose, seems good. URI's can be difficult to clear up, and you don't want to stop antibiotics before it is completely cleared up. So make sure you haven't seen any more symptoms for several days, before the antibiotics are finished. If you run out before this, call up your vet to ask about a refill.

Thanks for the response! There's hardly anything coming out of his nose now, and I have only heard one to two sneezes since I made the original post.

Their spontaneous battle of dominance is driving me crazy. I really don't want to separate them, but I'm not sure what else to do if this continues. They're not hurting each other, but you never know when that could turn. It almost looks like a game to Mumbles at this point. He'll come up behind Stitch, then Stitch turns around and chases him. Mumbles hides for maybe 30 seconds, and then he's at it again. I feel like it has to mean he's feeling better. Nothing else has changed besides me giving Mums Baytril. When I pick up Stitch to calm him down(I do the same with Mums), Mums is constantly looking for him. I may try the car ride idea once it warms up some. I'd prefer not to take them out when it's this cold.

They are able to still lay down next to each other, but it's not happening as frequently as it used to. Right now they just plopped down together in the little cubby hole that's under my entertainment center.
Does anyone have any ideas or have experienced this before? You're not supposed to regret making your rabbit healthy. lol. It doesn't help that I'm sick myself with a cold. :imsick:

I just called the vet thanks to your suggestion! I have one more dose left, and his nose is still a tad bit runny, so better to be on the safe side. :)

Latest posts

Back