Been a long time......

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kadish Tolesa

Reaction score
Hello everyone , like the title says, I've been away from here for a while and real life has taken away much of my internet time. :scared:
Anyway, I work full time and am a wife and mother..... but I do take time for some pets. Thanks to Austin for contacting me twice about returning to this forum ; like I said, I've been busy , most likely everyone else on here is, as well.

A while back, now, I lost a good friendship with a gal I've known since elementary school. (yes, that long !) She started out doing a dog/cat/rabbit rescue. She'd rescue animals that were outside on leashes that she felt were too small, or chains that were too tight. She rescued cats from houses where she thought they were being mistreated; and sometimes she'd take rabbits from hutches that were too cramped.
She advertised on craigslist as an animal rescue to solicit donations ; and would sometimes go on forums to ask for help with her rescues.
We'd talk about it over the phone and sometimes I was ambivalent about her work --- mainly because I hate to see animals suffer, but I'm not sure if taking the poor creatures while the owners are at work/away is the right thing to do.
At one point she had 47 rabbits in her house, along with various dogs and cats. A month went by and we didn't talk alot ; both of us were too busy. One day she called and said she was joining PETA.
I kind of rolled my eyes, since i don't fully agree with that organization.
She went on to say that she currently didn't have any animals at all.
I asked how she was able to sell them so quickly. (she corrected me saying, "it's an adoption fee, not selling") She said mostly through craigslist ; but then she said PETA helped her to make other choices.
She drove the animals she had left out into the desert (state land) and left them there.

When I asked why, she said it was to give them their 'freedom'.
She kind of attacked me for keeping rabbits and said I should set them free.
We've talked a bit since then, but I never mention my pets at all. Our friendship is hurting a bit.

Sorry for such a long post.... I just have had it with rescuers, all of them. Maybe in a few months I'll feel differently; idk. I'm not against the occasional rescuing of a rabbit that's being sold at a flea market, where you just can't walk away..... it's people that rescue tons and then post on forums, asking for help to adopt(sell) their rabbits.
Feel free to reply, maybe my thinking is wrong. :ponder:
I've yet to meet rabbit show breeders that don't cull or put down their excess bunnies --- most in my area use them for meat so there's no waste.
My personal feeling is that breeders sometimes say they sell their non-showable buns as pets.... but that's more to please the PETA crowd than anyone.

As for us, we are presently raising meat rabbits, mostly Champagnes and a few Cals. We send them off to a local guy when they reach full weight; and get them back all ready for the freezer.
There are a few Netherland dwarfs I keep as pets and to show; along with one Flemish Giant. I'll try to post pics of them soon !!! :clapping:
I really don't have much time for this forum :( ; but since I kept getting emails.....
Kind of nice to be back, though !!!!!

Thanks again to "Austin" for sending the e-mails to re-subscribe here ! :bunny22:
P.S. you might want to check your software, since I received multiple e-mails from this forum's admin. ... all with the same message.

Last edited:
welcome back!

I can see why that friendship would be incredibly frustrating - in no way does it give an animal a better life to dump them in the desert to fend for themselves... and PETA? ugh.

I'm all for rescuing animals, but she sounds like a bit of a fanatic about it, to be stealing animals from people instead of reporting them/going through proper channels.

Sounds like your friend maybe had the right intentions but is highly misinformed and her opinions are misguided. Stealing animals and then taking them and setting them free is not the way to go about things! And 47 indoor rabbits plus dogs and cats.....hmm makes me wonder if they were even getting the right care then or if it was a hoarding situation where the owner thinks they are helping but can't see the problem right before them.

I completely understand why that friendship is strained. And don't even get me started on PETA. Never been a fan of their extremes at all.

Latest posts

Back