Beds for Rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luluznewz

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm pretty new to this whole housing a bunny thing. I was wondering what bunnies like to sleep on. Lulu lives in a cage (the door is open all day when I'm home, which is a lot of the time)and I covered the bottom with a plastic material that is supposed to line shelves to keep glasses from slipping. It is a little softer on her feet than straight plastic and is easy to remove and clean. However, it doesnt look very comfy to nap on.

So I made her a cute little hut out of a cardboard box and lined it with a blanket. She likes the box, (shes in there now lying down and watching me type) but she kicked the blanket out.

Because its sort of cold here I put a low heat heating pad under the cage where the nest box is (my household is REALLY skimpy with heat, I go around with a sweatshirt most nights). I'm in California, so you know, nothing freezes and its not THAT cold, but was this a good idea? She seems to like it...

Also, is she okay sleeping on the hard surface or should I try something besides the blanket?

I cover the bottom of my plastic cage with a piece of fleece (I bought a few yards, and cut each yard up into 3 pieces; they're the perfect size for lining the bottom of the cage and easy to wash every week). He loves them for the traction and hates to walk in his cage without a fleece, but when he sleeps he pushes it aside and sleeps on the cold plastic. Haha. Seems like many buns prefer a cool hard surface to sleep on, though I know of some who like a soft surface. I bought a little cat bed thing, but he has never used it and it just took up space in his cage.

I also don't think the heating pad is necessary at all and might actually make her too warm. Rabbits are much better with cool temperatures than warm ones and are usually comfortable into the 50s. I think if you're comfortable in your house, even with a sweatshirt, it's probably not less than 60 so your bun should be fine. I actually find mine enjoys when the temps are in the 60s and is much more active than when it's warmer. They are wearing a fur coat, after all ;-)

ETA: Just saw you live in Santa Cruz. I was driving through there last week! Haha. For where you live, I don't think you'll ever need a heating pad or anything extra to keep her warm. Some people keep buns outside year round in those temps without problems.

Back