Bedding!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got my new bunny yesterday <3 and he is only 8 weeks old. In his cage right now there is wood shavings, I'm not really sure what kind they are. He has an igloo in his cage and I was wondering if I should put a fleece down inside his igloo so it would be more comfy. It is a little warm inside the house right now also so I dont know if it would be to hot for him:)

I assume you're going to want to train him to use a litter box, & the shavings might confuse him into thinking his whole cage is a litter box.

How do you plan to let him have exercise every day? Whatever you do, he'll eventually need a litter box big enough to stretch out in. And wood stove pellets or paper ones like Yesterday's News are less messy litter than shavings.

Rabbits don't need bedding, especially not in hot weather & not after they're litter box trained. They usually use a blanket either as something to chew up or as another litter spot.

Agnes is litter trained, like most house buns, so in her litterbox we use wood stove pellets, but in her bunny condo we use baby blankets. Bedding or any type of shavings etc makes them think they should pee/poo anywhere.

I would identify the corner he picked for his bathroom and put a litterbox there with safe litter (no clay cat litter) and some soiled bedding. Most buns will pick up on that.

Good luck and congrats on your new bunny!

I use horse pellet bedding in my buns litterboxes. It's kiln dried pine pellets (so no phenols, which are harmful), and I pay $6.50 for a 40lb bag. They're super absorbent, eliminate urine smell, and cheap! :biggrin:

I use Carefresh Bedding in our litterboxes. In the cages, I have a fleece blanket. My big bunny likes newspaper on the bottom of his cage, but the baby girl rips it to shreds!

We use fleece blankets to line the cages and wood stove pellets in the litter box. So many choices, you'll find what works for you. I used care fresh and newspaper pellets before the wood stove pellets and they were fine just way more expensive.

Thanks everyone for the advice :) I'm for sure going to switch to fleeces as soon as he is potty trained. I got a paper based bedding today for him and he already has a special litter. I'm really surprised how amazing he already is at using his litter box :D

Thanks everyone for the advice :) I'm for sure going to switch to fleeces as soon as he is potty trained. I got a paper based bedding today for him and he already has a special litter. I'm really surprised how amazing he already is at using his litter box :D

terrie wrote:
where can you get that?

I get horse pellets from Southern States, but you can get them from places that sell horse supplies, like an Agway. I would hope in PA they would be easy to find too? I just stay away from pet store pellets bc they're way more expensive for much smaller bags - case in point, feline pine, great product but the same stuff as horse pellets and way more expensive. :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back