bedding/litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfreight

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right section to post this question. What is the best type of bedding and/or litter to use in my bunny's cage? I am currently using Care Fresh bedding in her cage and a mixture of the Care Fresh and corn cob litter in her litter box. I sometimes put a layer of newspaper underneath the bedding. I read that pine or cedar shavings are not safe for rabbits, is that true? I think pine shavings would be cheaper, but I don't want to use something that isn't safe. Thanks for any help.

If your rabbit uses the litter box reliably, you don't really need other litter in the rest of the cage. I use blankets in my rabbits cage and wood pellet litter in the litter box. It is way cheaper than buying shavings and you just wash it when it gets dirty.

Pine is okay if it's been kiln dried--removes all the oils that way.Our rabbits like the pine fine. We also use litter boxes full of shredded newspaper around the floor. They like to burrow, dig, chew, and generally play with it.

She is not real reliable about using her litter box, but we're working on it. Do you think that layers of newspapers in the cage (other than the litter box) would work? I don't think we're ready for blankets yet (she would definitely soil them daily).

I use Oxbow bedding for their litter box. And in the rest of the cage I have cardboard that they like to chew on and rugs for traction. If your bun isn't fully litter box trained she may pee on towels. I don't use towels. You have to watch that she don't eat the towels too.

If your putting the litter throughout her cage and box, she might be confused. Just try putting it in her litter box. You can put newspaper then litter in her litterbox, if you like. Put a rug, cardboard or something else on cage floor.

Good luck,:biggrin2:April

Good point, she may be confused since I am putting bedding/litter throughout the cage as well as in her litter box. Maybe that's why she still soils the cage.

My rabbit is doing really good with her litter training, but I have a question. I was planning on switching to pine bedding for her litter, but the bag I bought doesn't say that it is kiln dried. The bag says it is safe for all small animals, including rabbits, but I want to be sure. What is the best litter to use? If the pine is safe, I'll use it but I don't want to use anything that might hurt her.
Thanks so much, this is a great forum!

Latest posts

Back