Bedding/litter materials, litter trays?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curiouscarrot

Reaction score
Sorry for all the questions, but I'm a new bunny owner.

I've put oaten hay all over the bottom floor of the bunnies hutch and some absorbent hemp chips in their "bedroom". I've been reading for all information and it says you can use straw as bedding. Peastraw is cheaper than hay, but if I put that down as flooring will they eat that instead of their "proper" food, or the oaten hay? Can they tell the difference between the good stuff and the unsuitable? The reason I ask is that I put some recycled newspaper cat litter in their litter tray and she immediately ate it. I think she thought it was rabbit pellets (I don't know whether she realized after she'd tasted it... she seems fine, it hasn't done her any harm that I can see). If I should just stick with hay because otherwise they'll eat the straw, then I'll do that but if I can use cheaper materials obviously I'd like to save money.

Also, are they happy sharing a litter tray (I know some cats won't)? They (or at least one of them) is using the tray, but this morning there's a big pile of poo in the adjacent corner. Should I supply a tray each? I don't think they are using the other one "downstairs", most of their wee/poo seems in the "bedroom". The tray was cleaned yesterday so I don't think it was because the tray was too dirty but maybe I need to up the cleaning as well.

I bought them this big litter tray and didn't think I could fit it in upstairs, but I had a "play" with it this morning and I can get it in if I go in a particular way. I've put that upstairs. It's a bigger size so should be better for the 2 of them if they'll use it. I've left their other one there, too, we'll see what they do now..... I think it was in a good spot, it was the spot they'd first selected to poo in, and somebody's been using it. Muffin hasn't had her operation yet, so not sure if that affects where she goes. They were going in the tray, it's just that they were going elsewhere as well (mostly poo, I think, rather than wee, it could be marking type behaviour to establish themselves in their new location? Pooing all over? )

I don't know that she would mistake the recycled newspaper as pellets. Buns like to chew, some get enough chewing through eating, others like to chew different things and will spend a lot of time chewing. I don't think eating some would hurt as it's a paper based product. I use kiln dried pine shavings and at times my bun will chew a few pieces, usually when I first put a clean litter box in.

I know straw is not recommended for buns as far as eating is concerned. I would think that they would choose to eat the hay over the straw, at least based on my bun simply because I know he will pick and choose pieces of hay he wants. Some strands for whatever reason he just will not eat. I could be wrong though as I have never had straw in his presence.

I would think like cats some may be fine sharing a litter box and some may not. If the buns seem to go in a particular area then that is the area to put the litter box in. You may need to use more than one litter box. Most people seem to figure it out by trial and error.

Buns will mark territory with both pee and poo. As you know by now buns poo a lot. They will mark new territory with poo. neutering and spaying can help with this including with pee marking. Very rarely will a bun poo only in a litter box. Most buns are considered litter trained if they pee only in the litter box as it's usual for a bun that uses the litter box to pee and poo to still poo at least a little outside the box.

My bun will drop about five pellets only now outside the litter box and not every day.

Thanks. Yes, I think they are weeing in the box. The litter is wet. There was one wet patch on the floor I think their first night in the hutch, but since, the bedding seems dry, but a fair bit of poo about here and there. The poo this morning was in front of the door to the "upstairs". It might very well have been a territorial gesture against me appearing there and trying to pat them. :D

Now I've put them in their new hutch, they are both lying in their litter box. Maybe I need to get them a box to sleep in. They hadn't weed in that litter box, only the little one. Hopefully they won't lie in it after it's wet with wee. They'll get all smelly.

Back