Bedding in the rabbit cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricaWD

Reaction score
Hello all,

Are shavings/bedding needed in the rabbit cage? I have two bunnies - one loves to burrow in her bedding and often rearranges it. The other may have been eating some of his bedding so we placed a towel in the bottom of the cage instead. Is the towel on the floor enough for a rabbit? I really hesitate to add bedding in case he eats it. I'm also thinking about placing some paper litter in his litter box but I'm afraid he'll start eating that and get sick again. He has hay at all times, along with pellets and veggies daily.

Thanks in advance for your input.

I don't put bedding in my rabbit's cages at all, except in the litter box. They have grass mats and fleece blankets. When I did have Kaytee clean and cozy bedding in the entire cage they just thought the whole cage was a litter box and went potty everywhere. As soon as I started putting it only in the litter boxes, they started to learn to potty train.

My doe eats the paper based bedding so I put wood horse stall pellets topped with hay in her litter box now. It works great and it's SO MUCH cheaper! It cost about $6 for a 40 pound bag. She nibbled on it at first but now she leaves it alone. And even if she did continue to munch on it, it's much safer than munching on paper based bedding.

If your rabbits like to burrow you can give them fleece blankets to dig around in or make a dig box for them. In my opinion though, it's much less confusing for potty training purposes to not have litter or shavings in the entire cage.

Grass mats and fleece blankets. I have a big old fleecy blanket that my sisters ex bf gave her a long time ago probably from walmart or winners. It acts as a flooring and then i bought these little fleece pet blankets from amazon and my bun burrows in them and uses them as extra snuggle material. I only use litter shavings in the litter box and cover them with a protection mat because my bun has tried to eat every type imaginable. Blankets are your best bet.
My rabbit bites little holes in them by accident when rearranging them but has never eaten the material

Latest posts

Back